Still leakin oil!!!

Notices

Still leakin oil!!!

Old 06-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still leakin oil!!!

dang this thing is driving me crazy! I've had the motor out, fixed what I thought was the problem but it still leaks, about a quart in a hour. I've got it narrowed down to the area of the remote attaching to the block. Its a real pain to get to twins and all. anyone know if I can pressurize the system to aid in finding the leak. I pulled the distributer out and ran the oil pump with a drill the first time I was looking for it and thats how I found what I thought was my problem not!. I had a new line made last season and wonder if its a bad fitting. if I took the line off at the remote filter and put say 50 lbs of air to it would that work????Help!!
Old 06-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air pressure may work. Air is cheap. It's worth a try. If that does not work I would put some dye in the oil and check for leaks with a black light. If you don't know anyone with a black light and some dye I can hook you up. Give me a call. 318-1569. Doug
Old 06-14-2003, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a small hand held black light if you need it Don, but you'll need to call me on my cell and not rely on this message board to get a hold of me because I am right in the middle of moving into my new home.

Mark
Old 06-15-2003, 08:09 AM
Registered

I feel your pain dyno. I've been chasing leaks for several years now. Had the engines out 3 or 4 times already and still have an oily bilge. Got it down to one engine only now. This is the one I didn't change the rear main seal in, so it is either that or the crossdrill plugs you guys have been talking about.

In addition to using air to pressurize the oil system, think about pressurizing the crankcase as well, with 10psi or so. Those two test should show evey possible weak point. My biggest problem was found with the crankcase pressurization method. Oil was leaking at the two drilled and tapped holes near the rear main that do not get filled when using a cast aluminum pan. They can really puke oil.

Man I hate an oily bilge!!!!!!!

BT
Old 06-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Thanks Guys!
Old 06-15-2003, 09:25 AM
Registered

As for where it is leaking I could not say. You might consider rigging up a test run stand so you can run the motor out of the boat. Really is not that hard to do. Probably no worse than pulling and reinstalling a motor several times trying to find an oil leak. Just a thought.

The oil pump primer drive is probably your best bet to try and locate it. As bad as you are leaking I would think you could clean it up realy good and use the primer or run it for a short time. Those little inspection mirrors on a wand may also help getting to those tight spots. I have also used a digital camera with auto focus and just hold it under the motor and snap several pictures. If there is room.

Last edited by paradigm shift; 06-15-2003 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Mr. Demeanor

Baby powder can help as well but if you leaking that much it'll sick everywhere.

Old 06-16-2003, 08:23 AM
Registered

Not sure what motors you have but a common area is in the front of the block where a stock fuel pump would bolt on, there is a bolt hole there that goes into the fuel pump push rod passage. This bolt hole looks like a blind hole but it isn't. GM used this to hold the push rod in place during assembly then the bolt would get switched for a shorter one.

Just a thought, I have fixed several oil leaks that people couldn't find by putting a bolt back in the hole...

Brian
Old 06-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

MackDad hooked me up with some dye and I got a battery powered black light from the maint. guys at work I should be able to find it soon!!!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by dyno
MackDad hooked me up with some dye and I got a battery powered black light from the maint. guys at work I should be able to find it soon!!!

Be sure to save some for the next LOTO trip. That stuff would make for some really cool mixed drinks!

Quick Reply: Still leakin oil!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.