Carb trouble >

Carb trouble

Notices

Carb trouble

Old 06-15-2003, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb trouble

I sent my carbs to Nickerson this winter for rebuild. Yestarday was the first time I had her out. Motors are procharged 502s, fuel pressure is at 7 lbs. at idle. Boat started and ran fine at the dock. Idled out of marina and went to get on plane. It took a long time to plane and needed more than usual throttle to get rpms needed to plane out. We were on plane for a few minutes then powered down to meet some other boats. We idled for a few minutes then shut off motors while waiting for a few more boats. Started back up, went to plane out and 1 motor started popping then stalled. Tried a few more times and same thing. It would idle but would pop when given more throttle. Then it was ok and ran fine.

We then drove about about 1/2 hr and anchored to watch the NYC poker run. After about 40 min tried to start motor and it ran rough and would not run right. I took the carb box off to look at carb, then it ran fine, put the box back on and it still ran fine. Running back home I tried to run WOT and both motors would not go over 4800 rpm, before the rebuild they were at 5200, and the boat felt like it was falling so I backed off and just cruised back. I think I am running lean but I don't know much about carbs. Nickerson sent no info about jet size or anything else when he returned the carbs. Or, with all the wet weather could it be condensation in the distributer, I have yet to check?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just discovered a fuel leak!! Probably lost about 15 gals. last night. I pulled the drain plug on my way home from the marina last night to drain the water out after getting caught in a theunder storm, so all that gass went into the ground at my house!!

Somehow my fuel cooler came loose and was bouncing around and must have loosened a connection. So I will assume air was getting in to the line and leaning out the motor.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:22 AM
Mr. Demeanor

Hard to say if you have good or bad luck.