Needing A Larger Cockpit >

Needing A Larger Cockpit

Notices

Needing A Larger Cockpit

Old 06-23-2003, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Needing A Larger Cockpit

We're considering upgrading to a larger boat. Looking to go up to about 28ft. Problem is I have 3 kids and the cockpit space is very important. We bout our Powerquest conquest due to it had a larger cockpit than nearly everything else we looked at in the 25ft range. I do want to stay with a single, speed is not real importtant pending I can still run 60 at a minimum. I know Fourmula has the SS model, but have been having difficulty finding anything else with any room. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Brian
Old 06-23-2003, 06:50 AM
Registered

If you are looking at the Formula SS's, a very pleasant boat, you might also look at Cobalt. In addition, Chris Craft is making a retro style boat in that range that is a knock out, and Regal started the SS style boats in the early ninties with their 8.3. It has been renamed since then, and now has a stepped hull. I still see the 8.3's on the water, and they are still a great looking boat.

Neither the Regal or the CC or the Formula 280 SS have offshoreehulls, if that is important to you. The Cobalt may have a 24 degree deadrise, I don't recall.

Quality-wise, Formula and Cobalt are about as good as it gets, and each often win boating magazine awards. Regal used to be almost as good, but I don't know about now. CC used to be lower, but may be turning things around

Does the Formula do 60 MPH with a single engine? That sounds like a lot of boat for a single engine to push that fast.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

All those boats mentioned are good boats. To get a bigger cockpit you will have to go to a ss type boat. Powerquest makes a 28 ft ss boat also. The Formula does do around 60 with a big block. I don't know about the PQ. Good luck in your search
Old 06-24-2003, 06:05 AM
Mr. Gov'nt

Default Larger Cockpit

I was looking for the same thing - Larger cockpit & more usable space. I bought a 28ft Nordic mid cabin bow rider with a single 496 HO 425hp. This will realisticly get you 65-67mph. There are other companies such as Checkmate, Sunsation which is in your area (also a lot of west coast builders) that make these mid cabin bow riders but Nordic had no doors on its mid cabin it is more open and airry. People can seat in the front bow instead of the cockpit. Just my 2 cents this worked for me.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:11 AM
Registered

Have you considered boats by Envision? (Yes, I own one). Their 29' model is offered in both closed bow and mid-cabin models. With the extended cockpit you can seat eight adults. The bow area is good for another four. We have four kids at home. It's the ideal boat for us.

As a matter of fact, it's for sale. We're moving up!