Worn Gimbal Ring

Notices

Worn Gimbal Ring

Old 06-30-2003, 05:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Worn Gimbal Ring

How common is it for gimbal rings to wear? My mechanic told me yesterday that where the steering arm connects to the gimbal it is worn out. Is this a big safety issue? I have a partial hydraulic system. I was thinking of switching to full hydraulic. Would that solve my problem and eliminate the need for that steering lever? What part is the one that actually wears? Is it the shaft swivel or the gimbal ring itself?

Thanks,
Dave M.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen it very often, but never on boat that had external steering, full system or not.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:45 AM
Registered

Ring can wear at multiple locations: At hinge pins( can egg), or at top where attaches to swivel shaft. Will egg up top also. This is just an aluminum part, if loosens up at top, it will wear very quickly. Yes, this is a big safety issue. Basically, top u-bolt is clamping gimbal around the top of the swivel. If this strips-out-no steering! You also have the steering arm which mounts to the gimbal thru the swivel shaft. If you go to www.mercruiserparts. com, it'll show you the parts break down and how it is configured. I believe someone on board from Ohio was doing rebuilds on rings-check previous posts. Even if you switch to full hydraulic, you still need to fix this. Part itself will run $737-$625 range aprox. for standard Bravo 1 ring.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have those parts in stock,call for a price,315 623 7642,chris
Old 07-02-2003, 07:04 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

give me a call we can fix your ring or exchange it. check out our web site at www.jrmarine.com give me a call 216-390-1330 RON BENDER
Old 07-02-2003, 07:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can get you one for $585. This includes shipping.

Pm me if interested
Old 07-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Registered

The top area, above the outdrive in the gimble that wears is a trianglular slot if I remember correctly and fits the steering arm that goes forward inside the boat and connects to the steering hydraulics. I've seen this start to wear on an friends boat, fortunately we were able to torque it down enough to salvage it. A sign of wear is slop in the steering of the boat. Now when this wears and finally needs to be replaced, can it be changed from the rear of the boat or is there a lot more involved? I've had an outdrive off and pulled engines, but I've never worked with the gimble assembly. Would you have to pull the engine?
Old 07-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

The hardest part would be drilling the access holes on either side of the upper transom plate to work with the pin bolt and steering lever nut/bolt. The rerst of it is straight forward.

I just discovered my gimbal is worn also. I'm getting about 4" of left and right play and it appears to definitely be turning around the pin meaning the gimbal is rounded out.

I heard today while calling around for the ring, that a machine shop will hone out the used one and install like a brass wedge/spacer so the old ring can be re-used. Prices on new ones were between $750 & $800....

Lucididee2 & WILDTHING TAZ I may be calling you guys soon...
Old 07-09-2003, 08:23 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

FOR 200.00 WE CAN FIX IT LIKE OEM. WE WELD WORN SQUARE WHERE SWIVEL SHAFT GO'S AND CNC MILL THE SQUARE BACK TO OEM SIZE.IF YOU HAVE A WORN RING DO NOT TIGHTEN IT HARDER TO MAKE IT HOLD.IT WON'T WORK! YOU MUST REALIZE THAT THE RING IS WORE UNEVEN. IT WEARS TO WARDS THE FRONT OF THE BOAT ONLY ON 2 OF THE 4 SIDES.IF YOU TRY TO TIGHTEN ON UNEVEN EDGES IT WILL SLOP OUT IN A VERY SHORT TIME BECAUSE IT'S NOT LOCKING UP SQUARE.!ALSO IT WILL NOT LOCK UP IN LINE WITH THE GIMBEL HOUSING BORE.WE ALSO MAKE SWIVEL SHAFTS OUT OF 17-4 STAINLESS & HARDENED.THEY WILL NOT RUST LIKE MERCURY'S.WE ALSO FIX BELL HOUSINGS W/ELECTRIC SENDERS WHEN THE PIVOT PIN THREADS WEAR OUT. CHECK US OUT AT WWW.JRMARINE.COM OR CALL ME RON BENDER 216-390-1330
Old 07-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Ron I got your email/cell number and will be in touch about sending in my gimbal ring. I did do what you said not to do above and it took almost all of the slop out (1/2" remains) See my post "Drive side to side movement".
I know this is not the solution, but most of my main summer events are around the corner and with my travels I'm afraid I won't have time to get it all apart, sent in, and back together in time to participate. Should it crap out again quickly it'll be in the mail pronto.... BTW I think your service is a great out of the box alternative and will encourage all I know to utilize it......

Rick

Last edited by Reckless32; 07-09-2003 at 08:41 PM.