Stern jack question >

Stern jack question

Notices

Stern jack question

Old 07-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stern jack question

What is everyones take on Land & Seas Stern Jack? I am trying to get a couple miles per hour out of my boat without changing durability/usablity. I just exchanged some emails with L&S and they tell me that my boat will pick up 5 MPH without a prop change and a little more with a prop change. Will it require external steering for low horsepower/speed? (65mph)

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

They offer a really nice guarantee. If you don't go faster, you get your money back. The problem is that you'll have to cut your trim rams off and weld on longer eyes. When it comes time to return the extension, you'll need new trim rams. Several people have reported a speed increase and several have reported no change. I've also heard of some people reducing a porpoise condition. I belive that the unit will work the best on boats that require alot of trim to run fast. There is a problem though. This unit moves the prop further back thus increasing the leverage on the boat. That's why it goes faster. The problem is that it also increases the leverage on the gimble assembly. That assembly was never designed for a setback box. Because of this, the unit really shouldn't be used on high performance applications.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:33 PM
mlitefan

I picked up 1.5 to 2 mph when I tried it. My hull was heavy (1999 VIP Vindicator 2400). I had the 7.4 mpi (310hp). I picked mine up used and it came with the rams. I surly didn't want to hack off perfectly good rams.

If I didn't sell the boat, I was going to take it off this season and re-sell it. Bottom line, if a boat needs massive amounts of positive trim to get any speed at all, it MAY help. Every boat is different.

Would I try it again? Nope...I would apply that money to what really makes a boat go faster...HP.

If you have not done it yet, money would be better spent labbing a prop for about the same potential gains and a lot less $$.

Final note...I spoke to the person I sold my boat to a few weeks ago and he told me the boat was in the shop. He wasn't EXACTLY sure what broke but said it was a "coupler" in the lower unit.. His mechanic blamed the Stern Jack.

I used it for half a season with no issues at all.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Registered

Good information, thanks guys. My first step is to talk to Houston about working on the prop. I run at the rev limiter a lot in rough water. Pulls great everywhere. I tried a Hydromotive 4 blade and it really slowed the boat down and dropped about 500 rpms with the same pitch. I have a Mirage + on there now and it works great. I wonder how much speed I can get out of the prop work?
Brian
Old 07-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

If you are interested in a used one I have the IMCO version which I am selling.
Attached Thumbnails Stern jack question-smdrive1.jpg  
Old 07-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Registered

Kchotboat,
I sent you a PM.

Brian
Old 07-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have 1 used setup including long trim rams. It needs a couple of parts but nothing land and sea cant handle. I had two sets I sold one last year. I can let this one go for $600.00 I can take more pictures if you are interested. I have U-Joints , bolts nuts ect. All I think you need would be a bearing (suggested) new seals and a shift cable.
Attached Thumbnails Stern jack question-dsc_0785-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Raypanic; 07-03-2003 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Registered

Ray,
Why did you take them off? Can you email me the pics?

Thanks
Brian
[email protected]
Old 07-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I took them off because I upgraded my power to 700 hp, I then bought IMCO SC's and no one was sure if they would work with the new drives. I will have to snap some pictures tonite.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Registered

Thanks Ray. I am very interested. Send me some pics and we will go from there. Did they help your boat at all? L&S says 600HP 80MPH requires external steering, lower then that it is not a big deal. Do you agree?

Brian

Quick Reply: Stern jack question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.