Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HELP gimbal-transom separation??? >

HELP gimbal-transom separation???

Notices

HELP gimbal-transom separation???

Old 07-06-2003, 03:00 PM
bowtie89

Default HELP gimbal-transom separation???

ok I took the transom plate off my boat and to get to the shaft I need to separate the gimbal ring from the transom plate. I snapped tghe cotter pin on the bottom and the screw won't turn!!!! I loosened the nut on top but it won't come apart. any ideas???? I think it is the steering shaft that is worn but I can't tell till I get that gimbal shaft out. Once I get that nut out and the bottom screw out they should just fall apart right???? Let me know if I am gonna run into any problems and what I should do about this bottom part????

Old 07-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The lower pin is pressed in. Has to be driven out.
Don't know why they put the slot in it ???
Old 07-06-2003, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lower swivel pin can be a pain to remove, but you must get the cotter pin out. Mild heat application sometimes helps. The slot is to rotate the pin to insert the cotter pin. The upper shaft can be removed without taking the bottom pin out. If you have a U-bolt, or clamping bolts that clamp the gimbal ring to the upper shaft, make sure they are loose. REMOVE the bolt that clamps the steering arm to the upper shaft. The top nut loosens and the shaft should be removed (downward) at the same time. You may have to use a small slide hammer in the threaded hole in the bottom of the upper shaft to help it come out.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:55 AM
bowtie89

Default sounds good to me

I didnt't think about that I was thinking I had to take the whole thing apart. I don't know what a slide hammer is I am guessing u use it to drop out the upper shaft. where can I get one, and what will it cost???

U GUYS ARE VERY HELPFUL THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2003, 02:27 PM
formulaF302

go to mercstuff.com and buy a tool he makes himself that will press that shaft out by shearing off the cotter key clean as it pushes out the shaft. He makes a bunch of special tools for working on drives.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get discouraged, Bowtie. As a general rule NOTHING just comes apart when you start working on these things. The bellhousings, gimbal rings, steering tillers etc are a pain in the neck even with all of the correct tools (may the Good Lord help you if it's been in salt water). Hang in there.

P.S. Oh, and while you have it down that far, check everything in between. You wouldn't want to have to lift the motor again for something you could've changed now. If it's a Bravo, make sure you remove the cover where your water inlet is and check under it. There is a 3/4" molded rubber hose (looks like heater hose) that connects between the outside bellhousing and the transom assy. It runs through the aluminum transom assy housing. Over time, that aluminum will corrode and begin to squueze the hose shut cutting off the water supply to the engine.