Nose cone on bravo & speedo

Notices

Nose cone on bravo & speedo

Old 07-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose cone on bravo & speedo

I mounted a nose cone on my 1988 bravo 1 . I went out an got all new gauges but the speedo dont work. I have all the hoses conected and that litle do-hicky thingy in the drive but the speedo dont work. is the nose cone the problum?????
Old 07-09-2003, 12:35 PM
bobby daniels

yep thats the normal problem you need to add a pick up on the back of the boat and plumb it into the speedo hose

Old 07-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

did you cover the original hole for the speedo? I have a external speedo tube.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HB,
I put a nose cone on my 89 Bravo. You covered the hole that the speedo used for water pressure. Make dang sure you fill the area where the speedo connects to the to top the drive. It WILL fill with water, freeze and bust off your cone. I have since replaced my B1 with an XZ and have a Eddie Marine stainless pickup if you are interested.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Registered

When I put my Hydromotive cone on my 89 Bravo, I measured where the hole is for the pick up and drilled a hole in the nose cone with a slight chamfer on the hole. After I dry fitted the cone, and made sure the hole in the cone and the hole for the pick up lined up, (use a piece of wire and stick it through the cone) I expoxed it on with the wire in place, and pulled the wire out before the expoxy set up. Speedo works fine. Its gone through 3 winters with no freezing problems.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I too drilled the cone but I drilled it oversize and epoxied in an 1/8 th inch brass tube that sticks out in front of the drive about 1/2 inch. Seems to make the spedo more accurate. On the new Imco shorties I also did this and blocked off the internal bypass hole. works great. I don't always need to turn on the gps to see my speed.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:13 AM
Registered

I put a Hydromotive hose cone on my 1991 Bravo One. I installed a pick up on the back of the boat near the left side of the drive. It does't work that great it will pop up and I will get no reading an I will have to stop and go swimming to reset the pickup. Wish I would have put the hole in the nose cone it might have worked better. I can always turn on the GPS to get speed, but some times you are not trying to set a new Max speed on it, you just want to know how fast your going. A friend told me about other pickups that are not moveable or hinged that would be a lot better than the one I bought a West Marine. Some thing to think about.