help 2nd motor install >

help 2nd motor install

Notices

help 2nd motor install

Old 07-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help 2nd motor install

with the first motor in, there is about 3" of clearence from crank mounted water pump[ to the fire wall...
my question is shiould i fight with the motor and tranny as one piece, and try and put it in tail down????

or should i remove the tranny from the bellhousing.......????
trans is a borg warner 72c, (i'm worried there wi;ll be seals to deal with if i split the trans from the bellhouseing) ?????
Old 07-10-2003, 06:40 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I would invest or rent one of those engine slings that have various settings so you can lower the engine in at an angle...or take off the pump and pick up a few inches. The last thing would be to install the trans after the motor is in.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Dude where do you live . I have a 38' 6 ton crane that I use to pull well pumps. It's the best engine puller in the world. It will make the job so easy. You got to know where Putnam Valley is. If you need any assistance call me at my office day or night 845 528 2929

Paul
Old 07-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Registered

if your not close the crane, they are called engine levels and they work great, you can buy one from jegs for about $80 or rent one from your local renter.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Registered

i used a fork lift with and i beam picker, had a cumalong and an engine leveler hooked up....... Its tight... i need more angle than the leveler can give.....

Hot Boat my shop is in Poughkeepsie, i'll be working on the boat all weekend...... i have many pieces of heavy equipment, but none would work as well as your crane truck..... Long chaining that motor would give it alot more flexability

the biggest thing slowing me down is no helpers, no shows...
but when its all done they'll be first in line for a ride....LOL

i'm really pushing myself to get this thing done before next weekend, wife wants to play.....
just got home 2:42am

thx everyone for all the help,
Old 07-11-2003, 06:35 AM
Scott72

We had the one of the motors out of the 1986 Scarab about 5 times in two seasons (we called it the cursed motor). We always found it easier to leave the Borg Warner trannies in the boat and just pull the motor. There were no seals to worry about when we split it from the bellhousing. We just didn't have the room to pull them out as one piece, the hatch opening wasn't large enough. Got it down to a science. Blew a flex plate on a saturday morning, pulled the motor and replaced the plate and had the motor back in, in about 4 hours.

Old 07-12-2003, 06:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I pull my motors with the trannies on. Of course that means pulling the drives for me. The only problem that you will have if you leave the trannies in is you will need to sapport them so that they do not drop at the nose of them. Then aligning them can be a little bit of a pain but it is doable, and not that hard. Especially if you can get a buddy to spin the crank for you as you try and allign things back up. Good luck

Jon