bravo shift cable question

Notices

bravo shift cable question

Old 07-23-2003, 08:44 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo shift cable question

i was abotu to hookup the cable on my shifter lever but iw ante dto amke sure i di itrighte the first time as they are a major pain in the ass to get to due to lack of slack in the cables.

which way does the shift cable (coming out of the drive) go, to put the drive into forward? if you pull the cable end out does that put it into forward or reverse?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Pulling the linkage out of the drive puts the drive in reverse. It really doesn't matter, though. Just pull the linkage out of the drive as far as it will go (about 1-1/4" or so). Put the ball end of the cable in the slot and make sure it stays there as you push the drive onto the gimball. As it goes in the linkage will close and capture the ball so it cannot come out. At the same time, the drive will go into neutral. Put a couple nuts on the studs so the drive stays in place. Then go and move the shifter. If it feels normal then you did it right. If you can move the shifter with little resistance then the cable did not go into the linkage. Just pull the drive back a little and try again. Good Luck.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:25 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i'm tyrign to make sure I install eth cable on the right sie of teh shift lever. on Gafrigg throttles/shifters the cable can go on eitehr end of eth linkage I wantt o amke sur ethat when i push eth lever forward it will be putting teh drive into forward. If i have to change the side the cable goes in (on the shift lever) it will be a major pain in the ass to flip the cable around once the dash panel is bolted down.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always put a small zip tie around the linkage that captures the end of the cable on the drive. This prevents it from coming apart if the cable gets slightly bent or worn. Just remember to snip it before trying to take the drive off next time.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:06 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

On a single engine with a right hand prop, pushing the shifter forward pulls the cable that is attached to the shifter. Putting the drive in reverse pushs the the cable. That is how my Gaffrig shifter works. Not sure if they are all that way, or not.