Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Speedometer ??? >

Speedometer ???

Notices

Speedometer ???

Old 07-26-2003, 11:14 AM
bowtie89

Default Speedometer ???

I have an 89 formula 206 ls I am tinkering with the speedo trying to get it to work. What is the copper tube that is right above the intake?? What does that do and how do I clean it??

Old 07-26-2003, 03:52 PM
Andrea

Default Re: Speedometer ???

Originally posted by bowtie89
I have an 89 formula 206 ls I am tinkering with the speedo trying to get it to work. What is the copper tube that is right above the intake?? What does that do and how do I clean it??
You much probably will have a mechanical speedo driven by a water pickup on your hull or transom and connects with the speedo (works with dynamic pressure).

Much probably you've run your boat on saltwater and didn't flushed it, so water dries and lets salt deposits or worst.

If you want to repair, much probably need to clean the tube (get a big can of WD40 and put as much as possible on the tube let actuate overnight, if tube is blocked, after letting soak with WD40 put some air by pressure on the tube to try to remove any blocking. Did many times on the speedo of mine Top Banana and speedo returns to work.