Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Batteries, battery boxes, and switch. >

Batteries, battery boxes, and switch.

Notices

Batteries, battery boxes, and switch.

Old 07-27-2003, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Batteries, battery boxes, and switch.

I'm getting ready to upgrade the current electrical system in my boat. The original owner ordered it with a single battery set up. While the battery is a large tractor/trailer style battery that has yet to fail me, I don't want to put myself in a situation that it could. Not to mention there a some SERIOUS audio upgrades in the near future.

I have some questions concerning this upgrade and what others have used with success.

The batteries...I will be using Optimas. Should I use one blue and one yellow? Or just use two blues? I have a warehouse that I buy most of my inventory from for my store that is a distributor of Optima batteries. They have quoted me a price of $130 per on the Optimas. Is this a decent price? If not, where would you suggest buying them from?

The boxes....It's obvious that I will have to purchase two battery boxes for the Optimas. I have seen the billet style. Are there any other options besides these? Seems like I saw something somewhere that was little easier on the pocket book. I'm going for function, not looks. The thought of spending as much or more on the boxes than I do on the batteries doesn't set well with me.

The switch...I can go buy a Perko switch at any of my local marine supply stores in the area. Is there another switch that someone would recommend over the Perko? Pros and cons if there are any.

Thanks in advance.

Buck
Old 07-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the Perko switch. They do however make a red and a black one. The black ones are actually rated to more amps. So if you can find them and black is ok that is the way I would go.

As far as the price. That is a good price. Not the best but good. I think I can get them from Boat US for cheaper not sure. I would get a deap cycle and a starter.

The battery boxes are not so easy. You will just have to bend over for the guy. If you are lucky he will toss a little lube in there instead of just sending it home dry.

Jon
Old 07-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1-0 battery cable with swaged ends (I can loan you the tool) and color coded shrink tubing. Napa has the tubing and MAD Enterprises has the battery cable. This is some really really nice cable.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Registered

Jon...You sound like you've done this before.

I'll look for the Perko in the black. Do you feel good about going with one Yellow and one Blue? I kinda thought that price was so so. You would think that spending 10k a month with this one warehouse would help a little. I'll call their bluff on the price before committing to them. It would be free shipping though.

Tim...I just so happen to have the crimper you speak of. Guy next door to my business does Mobile Audio. The power cable and ends won't be an issue either. I have my pick of what ever gauge I want.

Thanks guys.

Buck
Old 07-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Registered

Jon...Had another talk with the warehouse today. The new price for the Optimas is now $92 each. I thought that was much better. What do ya think about that price? I hope you like it, I ordered two.

Buck
Old 07-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Wildfire

Way to go Buck! Take the money you save on the batteries and give it to the box guy - still money ahead.

Maybe you should expand your business from just trucks/cars to boats too? Get that thing all rigged up and I'll come over and check it out.

Or if you need anyhelp passing tools or opening beers, let me know. Mine is probably a season or two and a house needing sold away from splashing.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:25 PM
DonMan

As far as battery boxes, give Eddie Marine a shout. I just bought a pair for my group 27 batteries. I opted for the cast aluminum ones. They look pretty much like the billet ones, but are only $45 each. I had Eddie anodize them purple ($7 each) before shipping them. I wish I had a photo to send because they look kick ass!

Old 07-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Registered

You need to give me a call Wildfire, your always welcome on her. I dunno about expanding into boats and boat parts/accessories. Too much crap to deal with in the business I'm in. But I do like taking advantage of some of the connections I have through my business to buy parts for my boat.

DonMan...These boxes you mention will work with the Optimas?

Buck
Old 07-29-2003, 05:52 PM
DonMan

The group 24/group 27 box WILL NOT work on an Optima battery. Eddie Marine does offer this same style box as I bought, for the Optima battery. I believe they are the same price.

Old 07-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Registered

The only box I can find from Eddie Marine for the Optima is $95. It's actually the one I like the best of all I've seen. I think it's the way I'll probably go.

Let me know if you know of something different for me to look at. If there's something else I don't know about I'd at least like to take a look at it.

Buck

Quick Reply: Batteries, battery boxes, and switch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.