Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Preserving a motor >

Preserving a motor

Notices

Preserving a motor

Old 08-14-2003, 07:59 AM
FWK

Default Preserving a motor

I have a 454/330 that is sitting on my engine stand and I was thinking about selling it. But if I don't how do you go about preserving it or will it not matter and rust will form anyway. I shot oil in the cylinder and the block was drained last year. Also I worry about the manifolds. Should I pull it apart and preserve all of the pieces? I also thought about selling it but I do not know what it is worth. Thanks

Old 08-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can remove the exhaust manifolds and tape up the exhaust ports. A fresh oil change, oiling the cylinders and sealing up all the openings is about all a 330 should need. If you wanted to go the extra mile you could remove the valve covers and back all the rockers off to close the valves. Make sure there's no gas in the carb. I prefer to long-term store an engine with antifreeze in the water jackets for the corrosion protection.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:49 AM
FWK

Thanks Crazy I will do that afetr the season just incase I do lose a engine. It won't be as much fun but I will still be on the water.

Old 08-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I long-term stored the 330's out of my Searay after I rebuilt them. I was going to have knee surgery and I wanted to have them rebuilt, broke in, and pickled before the surgery date, which was June 6, about 4 years ago. I knew I wasn't going to be installing them in the boat for another year, as the boat was a long-term re-fit project. Dyno and I ran them for cam break-in, changed oil, ran them again to run the fresh oil through them, oiled the cylinders by removing the spark plugs, re-installed the plugs after turning the engines over a few times to oil the walls, filled the waterjackets with antifreeze (while it was 80 degres outside) and taped up all the openings. A year later Dyno and I set the engines in the boat, ran them briefly on the hose, and launched the boat.