Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
fuel out the "J" tubes on 1050 dominator? >

fuel out the "J" tubes on 1050 dominator?

Notices

fuel out the "J" tubes on 1050 dominator?

Old 08-17-2003, 03:49 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel out the "J" tubes on 1050 dominator?

what causes fuel to steadily flow out of the "J" tubes on a dominator.

I tried to fire my engine tonight and we had no luck. I htink its 180* but i am goign to recheck some wiring and other crap too. Its getting spark. and teh timing mark is near to where it should be while cranking but no pops no nothign. Except right at eth end it started flowing fuel out of the carb like crazy. Do i need a fuel PSI regulator with a return? can i run the return line to the intake side of the fuel/water seperator?
Old 08-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Puder

High-Tide is correct, it's either too much fuel pressure, your float levels are set wrong, or there is some dirt (trash) holding your N&S open.

First remove the Float bowls off the carburetor. Remove the N&S out off each bowl, to make sure they are clean, and the poppet (Needle) is moving freely.

Now re-install the N&S, and with the bowl upside down set the float so it is about 1/2" away from the top (now the bottom) of the bowl. This will be a low setting, but will allow you to reset them properly with the engine running.

Make sure you have 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 lbs of fuel pressure with the engine running.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:00 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

unfortunatly I can't get the engine running. That is the problem. It is a new engine that i hav enever fired before. The engien biulder set it up and ran it on the dyno. I changed nothing since he dynoed it. So how could the floats be improperly set?
Old 08-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

I have had my dominator spew from the bowl vents also.
I changed the needle and seat. The part is Supplied by holley as a kit. This has happened more then once and always in the beginning of the season.

7 psi Fuel pressure at the carbs

Good Luck
Old 08-17-2003, 10:01 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

is replacing the needle and seat an easy proceedure? Are there an adjustmen ti can screw up that will casue the fuel (once running) to not be delivered properly?

The carb is on top of a blower so i really don't want to make it run lean. FYI i don't take carbs apart too often for fera of screwwing them up. For some reason i've never had luck with fixxing/rebiulding carbs.

would anyone be so kind as to describe the procedure?
Old 08-17-2003, 11:07 PM
DonMan

Puder,
I think you probably just have some "trash" under your needle, not allowing it to "seat" properly. When this happens, you will have a constant, but small flow of fuel that will eventually fill your bowls and then begin flowing from the j-tubes. You can remedy this without removing the carb bowls. The needle/seat is located on the top side of each fuel bowl. There is a 5/8 nut and a flat tip screw on top of the bowl, this is the needle & seat. Remove the screw and turn the nut CCW until N/S is free. Grasp N/S and pull up and out of bowl. It comes out as one unit. Spray N/S down with carb cleaner until thoroughly clean. Re-install in reverse order.
The tricky part is re-adjusting the floats. (The N/S adjusts the float level by screwing in to lower and unscrewing to raise). It is easier to do with bowl removed, but you seem to be scrared of removing them. Just pay careful attention to N/S adjustment BEFORE you remove them. Install them with approximately the same amount threads exposed and you should be very close to how they are currently adjusted......
Does any of this make sense?
If I`ve left anything out, someone feel free to jump in and add it.

Puder, if you need more detailed info, feel free to send me a PM.

Donnie..........

Old 08-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Replacing the needle and seat is a 5 minute job and adjusting it is another 5 mins. It is very simple. It should also have the final adjustment done with the boat in the water.

The needle/seat assembly is below the screw that sits on top of each fuel bowl. The nut below the screw is what is turned to adjust the n/s assembly.

Is fuel coming out both J tubes or just one?????
Old 08-17-2003, 11:28 PM
DonMan

Originally posted by Griff

Is fuel coming out both J tubes or just one?????
I knew there was something else I was wanting to ask.
If you have fuel from all j-tubes, you probably have too much fuel pressure. 7 lbs is great, but more than 10 or so and you will unseat the needle.
If only one or two j-tubes (you have 2 carbs, right?) are spewing, you probably have trash in the n/s. It only takes a grain of sand to unseat the needle......been there, flooded that....

Old 08-18-2003, 12:19 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i only have 1 carb and fuel is only flowing out of the front tube.

proly just funk cuaght in there then huh???
Old 08-18-2003, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know you fuel pressure is over 10psi then back off to 7psi if you can. If that is not the problem then your fuel inlet valve is either not seating or is set WAY to high. Now if this is something that just started suddenly then odds are you have gotten a piece of trash or gasket stuck between the needle and seat. The only way to check is to remove the fuel inlet valve and clean it. When you re install it the correct way to adjust it is as follows:

Make sure the boat is as level as possible, put a couple of shop rags around the bottom fuel bowl to catch some spillage, slightly loosen the lock screw in the fuel inlet valve, adjust the level by turning the adjusting nut clockwise to lower the fuel level, or counter-clockwise to raise the fuel level. The correct level is indicated when fuel just barley starts to drip out of the sight plug port on the side of the fuel bowl.

Oh and I recommend you do not smoke while performing the above procedure.

Roby

Last edited by robyw1; 08-18-2003 at 12:22 AM.

Quick Reply: fuel out the "J" tubes on 1050 dominator?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.