LWP replacement options?? >

LWP replacement options??

Notices

LWP replacement options??

Old 08-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LWP replacement options??

i have a low water pickup bravo on my 25 checkmate. what are my options in replacing this with another pickup? i was thinking thru hull offshore style. what are the pros and cons of this setup? i have been dueing much more boating in the rivers and not the bay lately and it seems if this LWP gets even close it sucks sand and silt every chance it gets!!! i have a notched transom, what are the pros and cons of clamshell pickup off the bottom vs. thru the stern adjustable drop down style??

thanx Rob
Old 04-15-2004, 06:19 PM
covellibaja272

I am looking into that same option. I have the LWP on the bravo one performance drive.

Did you come up with a final solution?

I am considering changing the gear case.

Old 04-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Registered

You are not alone with this problem. If you search this board there are about 50 strings on just this issue.

Baja suggests putting something on the back of the transom. I just talked to a guy last weekend about putting a pickup throught the hull.

The upside of going through the hull is that the 454 MPI already has a water pump on the motor, so it's just a matter of drilling the hull. The issue is you have to put it far back.

I am interested in hearing more about the offshore pick-up hanging down, because then you wouldn't have to drill the hull, you could use the fixture that the drive is using now.

Let me know what you guys are doing!

NetGain
Old 04-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be very carefull.
My thru transom pick up and stepped hull cost me a bunch of money this past year.
I'm back to the low water pickup.
Just be sure you put it where it can get to uninterupted water.

I have the dual pickup drive with the uppers plugged due to a high X dimension now. I'm tinkering with pulling out some of the plugs, working from the bottom up. I have all the pressure I need now so by opening a few of these, it may relieve some of the suction of the nose holes when idling around.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh yea, I may have a Stainless Marine thru hull for sale if your interested.
p/n 05-8888803
Old 04-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

You'll want a transom mounted pickup. I went to one last year and havn't had a single water supply problem since. You'll want one with an adjustable cutting edge. If you drag too much pickup, then you're creating drag which will slow you down. Not enough and you'll either get aerated water or not enough pressure. I have mine about 1/8" below the bottom and the pressure is a rock solid 10psi. Be sure to mount the pickup to the side of the drive so the drive receives clean water. You'll want to mount the pickup as low as possible so it stays in the water as much as possible. Also consider the placement of the steps. You don't want aerated water.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Registered

Cord,

What type did you use? Did you add drive showers or just let the water flow through the drive and out the top?

Also, did you run the hose from the pick-up through the transom using the existing hardware from the drive hose?

I hope to get a response because this could be the answer to my prayers!
Old 04-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Because of my high x, a standard shower would not work. I have mine plumbed in after the raw water pump. I had this done already before I changed to the transom pickup. Right now the drive water is just capped at the gimble assembly. I tried to plug my single inlet hole, but the epoxy just blew in. If I had to do it again, I would run the water off the gimble, back around and through the transom to the shower. I would have made up a custom fitting to adapt the gimble to the hose barb. The part is so easy to make that it's not worth cobbling something up.

I used a pickup from Rexmarine that I then customized. I bent a piece of stainless and welded on a cutting edge. This fits inside the pickup and allows me to raise and lower it for the perfect water pressure. The pickup that I bought came with a threaded nipple. I installed sea cock on this and then used a barbed fitting to adapt the standard 1.25" hose. The sea cock is important. This fitting is below the water line. A loose hose clamp or split hose will sink the boat.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LWP replacement options??

I saw this old post and wondered if any would like to swap a LWP for a High water pickup. I have severl high water pick up cases but need a low water.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LWP replacement options??

dwp is the sollution !

Quick Reply: LWP replacement options??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.