spun bearings & new oil coolers >

spun bearings & new oil coolers

Notices

spun bearings & new oil coolers

Old 08-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default spun bearings & new oil coolers

After wiping #3&4 rod bearings in the first hour of boating,--blew the oil line to the cooler/filter--- and in NO time took the bearings out---

I'm being told to replace my brand new oil cooler in case there is any particles in there. I've flushed with diesel fuel and seems to be clean There was only very small pieces of bearing in the engine when we ripped it apart, mostly silver flake. Is it common practise to replace these oil coolers for fear of something coming unlodged in the new motors?? I want to be safe but I'm also not seeing anything coming out after cleaning. These are 3* 18 Eddie marine coolers, this is the one with the power steering cooler also.

What's everybody's thoughts???

BTW adding Murphy guages to the new motor!!!
Old 08-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, what Budah said. The guy that's telling you to replace it, he doesn't just happen to sell oil coolers, does he? Don't forget to flush the lines along with the cooler.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanx Guys, That makes me feel a little better! And no he doesn't sell coolers, he's just the guy that has to deal with me and my sh^%#^tty luck. I'm going to replace all the lines on both motors, probably with hydraulic lines good for 3000 psi -- I don't want this to ever happen again. The one that blew looked perfect, no marks or cracks, it just formed a blister and blew out-- what apain in the ass
Old 08-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there , done that. Only I got lucky and caught a slight variation in the oil pressure in a wide sweeping turn. I stopped and found a mess . Got home and found this:
Attached Thumbnails spun bearings & new oil coolers-hole.jpg  
Old 08-31-2003, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, new lines are cheap insurance. The Merc hoses are a little chintsy and seem to be prone to slight (or great) seepage at the swivels.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:09 PM
FindMe

My bet is call Eddie Marine, explain and ask for advise... most of the time, you cannot remove metal from inside a oil cooler unless its at operating temp... true story!