Blown head gasket after Big Dicks >

Blown head gasket after Big Dicks

Notices

Blown head gasket after Big Dicks

Old 08-27-2003, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Blown head gasket after Big Dicks

It happened somewhere between the cruise from Big Dicks back to Shooters21. Came down to an idle and it was missing.
Well I just returned from LOTO and pulled the heads, yes it's a blown head gasket between #4 & #6. At least that is the only problem. I know I should have replaced them when I installed the whipple-you guy's warned me.
I need a little help with what parts to get; manufacturer & PN:. I have a 97 502 MPI Gen VI with a Whipple and 350 hours. Since it is apart I was going to do all that needs to be done to the heads to make them like new.

What Inconel Exhaust vavles should I get?
Felpro gaskets 1047?
What about Intake valves? replace or grind & reuse
Valve guides? We will check & probably replace
Valve springs? what is cranes PN:
Valve retainers and locks?

Optional
studs?
Crane roller rockers? Do you have to replace the valve covers; if so, get what kind.
Push rods?
IMCO power flow manifolds?

Anything else that I missed. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Sorry to hear about your issue. Your boat looked great running up there. Got some pics of it from Cord's Firehawk.
Attached Thumbnails Blown head gasket after Big Dicks-868646-r1-15.jpg  
Old 08-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Here's a good one.
Attached Thumbnails Blown head gasket after Big Dicks-868646-r1-16.jpg  
Old 08-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Registered

Hey cool Waterfoul. Thanks for the Pic.
I didn't get to meet you but I saw you guy's all over the place in the boat. But I meet a lot of other OSO guy's. Next time we will have to hookup. Not a big problem, just a pain in the a$$. My buddie in the 26 Eliminator Daytona won his class at 120MPH so that was a lot of fun and a lot of work. No pain, No gain
Old 08-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

You, know...it wouldn't be much more work to replace the cam too.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Registered

Ok Jack & Cord, I thought about changing the cam, but what kind of problem will I have with the fuel curve of the ECU? I probably need to talk to Dustin.
What extra machine work will need to be done to the heads for that cam if any?
And what else is needed if I go with the cam; Springs, lifters, anything else.
Also when I put on the roller rockers, studs & push rods, do I need different valve covers?
Jack, What do need to look out for with the lifters; wear on the roller, loose bearing, etc.
Always looking to get more power, but still want to be reliable.
Thanks for the help guy's. I'm sure I will have more questions.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

WOW The same thing happened to me 2 years ago after LOTO.

Here's the fix. Call Dino at Teague marine. They have the best prices on the valves. Also go with ARP studs and get Fel-Pro marine head gskts. Send the heads to a good machine shop. Get a single angle valve job done. Why ??? Because it allows maximum heat transfer from valves. Also have the combustion chamber polished thus removing a place for detonation to hide. Don't spend money on intake porting since you are supercharged it won't make that much difference. Get the exhaust side cleaned up though. I would also recommend going with a hotter cam while your there too. I did the exact thing to mine and it has lived for over 200 hard running hours since. Any questions ??
Give me a call at 847-902-9702.

Good luck,

Dave
Old 08-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I don't think any special work is needed for the heads. In fact, you proably don't even need to spend the money on porting. Let the blower build the power. Crane does sell kits with all the components that you would need, but as Budah said, you'd be better off with ones picked for the specific application and cam. The rockers will clear your valve covers if you trim the drippers off. Felpro makes some double thick cork gaskets that will help too. Don't even think about reusing your lifters. You'll want to use new ones. Throw your old ones on ebay and let somebody else figure out why. If you have stock manifolds, the cam will at least require different tail pipes. This cam will have a slight lope under a blower so you don't want to revert. Aftermarket cast manifolds will help things out, but really expensive ones are not necessary. The most important thing is to delay the introduction of water into the exhaust. Talk to Dustin about remapping the computer. I'd also recommend having your injectors cleaned and flowed. One bad injector will destroy your engine.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

We were posting at the same time. I saw the differences, but figured that I'd leave them for the sake of discussion.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

As I stated Teague has the BEST prices on Manley valves. Summit was at least five dollars more per valve !!!

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket after Big Dicks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.