Steam from breathers?

Notices

Steam from breathers?

Old 09-05-2003, 07:55 AM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam from breathers? Update and not good!!

While running the boat on the river this past Tuesday I noticed steam coming from both of my breather caps.
Engine temps were between 160-170. I felt the condensation forming on the exhaust riser and felt no oily residue. The motor is a warmed over 1997 454 Mag.
The breathers are from Eddie Marine. Also I checked the oil and it is golden. No milk shake.

Should I be concerned?

My other boat has a pcv valve and hose hooked back to the carb and never noticed this situation.

Paul

Last edited by pb; 09-08-2003 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Registered

Its Normal. Nothing to worry about.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:03 AM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

jdnca1,
Thanks. Just what I wanted to hear

Paul
Old 09-05-2003, 09:38 AM
jhnrckr

I start to notice more steam as the weather changes. If it cools off and there is a lot of humidity you will see more steam, don't worry about it.

Old 09-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is their white under your breather caps???
If their is then you have a problem - You are getting water into your engine from somewhere. It isn't enough to show up in your oil.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have milk on the underside of your breather caps you either have a lot of condensation ( this can happen if you run in cold water or your engine runs cold ) or you have a small water leak. If your oil is milky YOU have a big water leak and you are already doing damage. If you run at a high cruise at least once in a while it should get your oil above 212* and that will rid of any water in your oil. That should be the only time that you see steam coming out of your breathers. Is it possable that what you are seeing is blowby and not steam?
Old 09-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to agree on PCV valves. Works very well at least it has for me. I had trouble with condesation under valve covers and during the winter months with cold water I would even see it in the oil. Installed PCV and NO condensation under valve covers period. In the winter I may see some under valve covers depending on how long I idle. Blower motor NO water thermostat so water temps are very low. Will help with fumes with a closed engine bay too. Just my .02
Old 09-08-2003, 07:47 AM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Saturday morning I am doing my fluid checks prior to heading out. Pull dipstick and find the dreaded milkshake!! Pulled risers to inspect gaskets. Looked fine.
Start making phone calls and decide to pull the heads. Inside of the motor was FULL of white sludge. Underside of intake manifold was literally caked with it about a 1/4".Same for the port side valve cover, distributor....SHALL I KEEP GOING!!!!

Collected up all the parts and pulled the boat out to Wolffies in Baroda , MI to go through the heads and re-assemble. He looked at the head gaskets and found indications of bad head gasket.

We just bought this boat and used it twice before this happened. WE ARE PISSED.

I need to calm down AGAIN.

Paul and Susan

Last edited by pb; 09-08-2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Well, luckly you caught it early. New head gaskets and you should be good to go. Did the survey turn up any info on the head gasket? It might just be some really bad timing.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:40 AM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cord,
No survey. Lesson learned.

Quick Reply: Steam from breathers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.