Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
blower on a stock 502 mag. ??? >

blower on a stock 502 mag. ???

Notices

blower on a stock 502 mag. ???

Old 09-08-2003, 10:09 PM
homan

Default blower on a stock 502 mag. ???

I don't know whtat rods or pistons the knucklescrape put in my motor it's comparable to a hp 500 cam and valvetrain wise but don't know the internals. This winter I was considering having the heads ported and installing a blower will this tug be reliable or a meltdown waiting to happen and could I run a single 1050 for a carb. I only want 4-5 psi boost max.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read my post a few down. I got 100 hours of running from a rebuild. the 454's before it had 300 hours. I really like the wieand 256.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you're going to "review" your internals first - that's good. Things like forged pistons, Inconel valves, compression will all have an impact on how long it will live.

For a 502 I wouldnt go anything smaller than a 250/256 (roots-style). You "can" run a single carb, but I've heard they're harder to get the fuel mix right and they create less HP on an identical engine. I run 502s/250s with twin Teague carbs...
Old 09-09-2003, 05:24 PM
homan

The heads do have the inconel exh. valves I saw them on the receipt as far as rods I think they were reconditioned, pistons and crank I've no clue. It's a gen V block

Old 09-09-2003, 05:30 PM
homan

just remembersd he said comp. was about 9.3:1 don't know how true that is I guess I'll find out when they're off also motor was just rebuilt and has maybe 25 hrs. on it . I know I have to drop compression will thicker head gaskets do it for me, or maybe boost down a psi or so and say if I did drop down to 3psi is it worth my aggravation and time I don't know what hp gain I would have. I was told porting my heads might give me 20 hp or so.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Registered

I just picked up a set of HP 500 blocks with 100 hours each. I belive I will also need to lower my compression but I'll keep you informed.

9.3:1 is pretty high for a blower motor.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:15 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cignificant,
I am running a single 1050 on my B&M 250. I couldn't be happier with the performance. I had Nickerson rework it. I have zero transom soot and it idles great. Plenty of power and response. More than the outdrive should have to deal with. It is on a 496 Gen IV Stroker.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Registered

Homan;
Just my .02 but if it was me I would tear it down prior to adding the blower if you are not sure what it has for internals. Chances are the rods are reconditioned (new ARP bolts?) and it has a good steel crank if it is a magnum motor. Pistons depending what they are may be able to cut the tops down to save $$$ but who knows if they are even forged or not. You will want to know exactly what cam you have. Valve seats should be widened on a blower motor to help them cool especially exhaust. Valve stem clearances should be checked. Blower motors can be dependable or a grenade waiting to go off. Do yourself a real favor and insure a good summer by taking the time to check everything. Go with a proven set up that others have run and you will be happy. For the record I think highly of the mag motor they are strong. Sorry for being so long winded. Good luck with your set up.
Attached Thumbnails blower on a stock 502 mag. ???-dsc00068.jpg  
Old 09-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Registered

I agree you should tear her down and bullet proof her before you put the hammer on her. Junk parts + uncertain parts = breakdown.

Besides while you have her apart you can put new berings, piston rings and inpsect for problems. If you find problems you can diagnose what caused the problem then take the corrective actions to fix the problem so it will not lurk its head up at you once more.

I started with a junked Bulldog (bad mechanic) and bullet proofed her, before i put on a TBS 250 and a 1050 Dominator.

You need to know all of your internals before you can gauge your performance.

Here is what you get.
Attached Thumbnails blower on a stock 502 mag. ???-yhspeakers-004.jpg  
Old 09-10-2003, 08:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by RLW
Cignificant,
I am running a single 1050 on my B&M 250. I couldn't be happier with the performance. I had Nickerson rework it. I have zero transom soot and it idles great. Plenty of power and response. More than the outdrive should have to deal with. It is on a 496 Gen IV Stroker.
I knew I'd draw a response on my comment. Notice I said it's "harder" to get them set up properly, not impossible. I've heard great things about Nickerson, and I have the opinion that they know their chit. ( But I've also heard they're expensive - like $1250 for a 1050?? ) And I know people that have run 1050s with few or no problems. I'm not condeming them at all.

I do have a little transom soot with my twins, but I figure rich is better than lean, especially with a blower motor. I idle at 800rpm with no surging, and no loading up.

What would be interesting is to calculate fuel flow of twin 750s vs a single 1050. Anybody have an opinion?

Quick Reply: blower on a stock 502 mag. ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.