Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
leak at transom plate >

leak at transom plate

Notices

leak at transom plate

Old 09-12-2003, 03:47 PM
maverick1

Question leak at transom plate

I run a baja with a 502. Early this spring while running I hit a submerged object and put three large chips in the skeg on the lower unit. No other damage, not even to the prop. The boat is 8 years old, and has always stayed BONE DRY in the bilge.

Now, I'm getting about a pint of water out of the drain when trailering after a day in the water???? The last outing I noticed the transom assembly was wet at the top of the assembly ( inside the boat) at the steering "tiller" that comes through the transom hole. It attaches to nothing --- as I am running latham hydraulic steering (external).

I have now checked the transom bolts which all seemed snug but not necessarily tight. I do NOT see any "compression" of the transom around the transom plate, and after tighting the bolts it APPEARS (one hour just sitting in the water on the trailer) that there is now no leak.

Do I leave well enough alone??? or Do I need to pull the assembly check the gasket and maybe do repair to the transom?????????

HELP!!!!

Last edited by maverick1; 09-12-2003 at 03:51 PM.

Old 09-12-2003, 04:14 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your water leak is coming from the upper pivot shaft for the gimbal assy. Not an easy fix. I just replaced my entire transom assy to fix this problem. My boat is 9 yrs old. Do a search and you'll find someone who makes a kit to repair it on the boat. Personally I felt the kit was a band-aid for a larger problem. I bought my assy on Ebay. I got lucky at 1800.00.

Good luck and P.M. if have further questions

Dave
Old 09-13-2003, 04:14 PM
maverick1

Default reply

You've confirmed my thoughts and I've seen new units on e-bay priced similarly.

I agree the "external" fix - seems like does more damage to the integrity of the gimbal assembly than it helps. I'd rather pull the motor and do it right!!

Thanks for the assitance!

MAV

Old 09-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you beach your boat?
If you do then that is probably the only time that it leaks.

When you beach the boat the top of the transom assembly goes under water and that is when it will leak.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maverick1,

when you hit that object you loosened the transom assembly. pull the motor , then pull the transom assembly. while you have it off get it rebuilt. then when you put it back on use marine tex sealent around the whole assembly. that will fix your leak. i did the same thing racing.

Treadwell
Old 09-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't have to buy a new one. to rebuild it is about 1000.00

Treadwell
Old 09-15-2003, 12:30 AM
Al Oakley

had prblems with the shaft that runs through thier .most of the time i replace the shat and seals and the problem is cured merc. makes a kit with acsess plugs not easy but doable

Old 09-15-2003, 12:57 PM
maverick1

Talking Thanks for the replies

Yeah, I do beach the boat everytime I go out, and to "make momma happy" the boat's gotta be right at the shore --- with waves the lower unit is clunk, clunk, hitting the sandy bottom.

I'm gonna silicone it externally to finish the season - just a couple of runs left this year, and pull the assembly over the winter.

Any idea on best source for the sealing gasket and "sealer" mentioned above??????

MAV

Old 09-15-2003, 01:22 PM
maverick1

Question marine tex

what is Marine Tex - and where do I get some???
MAV

Old 09-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The last thing that you want is to have your drive hit anything except water. Letting your drive bounce off the bottom will do real damage to everything including the hydraulic trim.