Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Latham Steering Fittings Split?!!! >

Latham Steering Fittings Split?!!!

Notices

Latham Steering Fittings Split?!!!

Old 09-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Latham Steering Fittings Split?!!!

Got my boat back after the engine rebuild a couple of weeks ago and went out for only 2 hours. Came back and found hydraulic oil all over my bilge. One of the bronze fittings in the steering system on the inside of the transom had split. Marina did a half-baked fix, but it's not leaking. Went out again Saturday and another fitting split. The system worked perfectly before they pulled, rebuilt and reinstalled my motor. Would love some clues about what may be causing this before I go down to "discuss" this with them.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:09 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

Post a picture of the failed fitting
Old 09-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Registered

Sorry, no digital camera. All I can say is they both split parallel to the hose, as if along a seam. It seems to me like there's too much pressure in the system somehow, but I defer to the experts.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:05 PM
1_bigdogg

hard to tell ...which fittings were they?...hose ends..90's....different fittings in there that can go bad. where are they located?

Old 09-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Registered

Jana,
See if you can get someone to take a picture of the fittings. I'd also give Latham a call and ask them. They have great customer service. 954-462-3055 Things wear out and break but it does seam suspicious it's right after the rebuild. Let us know what happens. I have Latham steering also and would like to know what to keep a look out for.
Dan
Old 09-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Registered

I'm going to call Latham this morning.
Also, forgot to mention that the first time I went out I found a brass fitting on my cockpit carpet that looks like it's from the steering system. One end is hex outside with internal threads (about 5/8 diameter) and the other end has external threads and a little hole in the end that can't be more than 3/16 diameter. It looks like some sort of nozzle.
The first fitting that split was one of the hose ends at the transom. The second was a hose end that's up under the deck.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Jana
I'm going to call Latham this morning.
Also, forgot to mention that the first time I went out I found a brass fitting on my cockpit carpet that looks like it's from the steering system. One end is hex outside with internal threads (about 5/8 diameter) and the other end has external threads and a little hole in the end that can't be more than 3/16 diameter. It looks like some sort of nozzle.
The first fitting that split was one of the hose ends at the transom. The second was a hose end that's up under the deck.
Sounds like the restricter that screws into the pump on the high pressure side. I wonder if they had a hard time finding the fitting that should screw into the piece you just described and decided to not use it
I am sure someone who understands Hydraulics can explain what would happen without it,if anything
Old 09-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Possibility #1.

Pulled the drive to be able to remove the motor. They may have left the steering cylinders hanging in a weird position that kinked the line.

Without pictures, though, it is difficult to know whether you are talking about a split in a stainless hose crimp jacket or in an actual machined fitting piece...
Old 09-16-2003, 08:33 PM
1_bigdogg

Sounds like some split hose ends......if they are the 3 piece reusable type, they may have been installed incorrectly from the begining. Are they from the same line? Also the fitting you described sounds just like what Scott said. The only problem I see here is that there is really no way to put the original pressure line back on the pump without it(unless they got real creative).

Old 09-17-2003, 06:53 AM
Registered

No. One each in two lines. I'm probably going down there today, so I'll see what's what at the pump. (After the hose clamps on the split fitting, I wouldn't put it past them to have gotten creative.)
mcollinstn - it's brass fittings inside the boat, and yes, I think it's in the crimped part.
Latham's answer was that it could be many things. They said check to be sure the system was bled properly and also check the filter (may be clogged or collapsed). The piece I found didn't really ring a bell.

Quick Reply: Latham Steering Fittings Split?!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.