Another TRS topic >

Another TRS topic

Notices

Another TRS topic

Old 09-16-2003, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Another TRS topic

I`ve been following Monty`s thread about his TRS drives. I`m running the TRS drives on my blown Top Gun and have had pretty good luck with them although I did break them both at the beginning of the season. (both lower pinion gear failure)

I have been told that the new (not been on the shelf for years) replacement gears are now Cryogenically treated by Merc as part of the hardening process.

I`ve been running the new, supposed to be Cryo treated gears, since early June and have had no problems at all since installing them.I`ve changed the lube several times and it looks fine. Run about 50 hrs.

Does anyone know more about Merc using the Cryo treating process?

I`m pretty pleased with them. All drives will break eventually.

Kurt
Old 09-16-2003, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I'd be willing to bet Marc (Bam Marine) knows a "little" about this issue.
http://www.go-fast.com/trs_drive_gear_failures.htm
Old 09-16-2003, 07:46 AM
Registered

I've been wondering the same thing. When I was building my 1200hp twin turbo Corvette, I wanted to maintain the independent suspension since it's a street car and handles better than a solid axle. In order to increase the strength, I had my ring/pinion, yokes, and spindles cryogenically treated. I also had the gears coated. They have held up extremely well under hard driving and the occasional trip to the track. I have no doubt that the same processes applied to the gears and shafts in our drives wouldn't benefit from the same treatments.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I had my front disk brakes on my Lifted dually frozen. I can honestly say it made a difference! I went though two sets of rotors in 20k miles.....they were always cracked from the heat and warped fast as well. I had a set of these put on and right before i sold the truck with 15k miles on the pads and rotors they were still almost new! These two places are the ones i was looking at. I went with www.frozenrotors.com because he had the rotors in stock. the other place i was looking at was www.300below.com either one does parts by wieght not by how many pieces you have.....so it may work out to do a group thing here if people are thiunking about doing gears in their TRS's or bravos or any other things!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Registered

300below is the shop that cryo treated my differential components. Good service and quick turn around.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:55 AM
Registered

Last spring I spoke with the owner of Diversified Cryogenics. They have a great website also. They charge 5.00/lb with a 100.00 minimum

check out www.diversifiedcryogenics.com

Kurt
Old 09-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Registered

I cryo-treated my TRS gears, shafts, and upper to lower coupler after a pinion failier five or six yrs. ago. I am inputting 600+ HP @ 54-5500 rpm. I use Amsoil 2000 Series 75/90 Racing gear lube. There has been NO fuzz on the magnets, the gear oil remains that nice light blue, and periodic removal of the upper gearcase cap for inspection reveals absolutely NO wear on the upper gear set. If I logged it all in right, I have over 350 hrs. since that rebuild and I don't baby it all that much. I am running a Simrek Drive Shower but I don't think I ever built up enough heat since the change to Amsoil to really need it. Bottom line: I'M A BELIEVER IN THE CRYO PROCESS!! --- Jer
Old 09-17-2003, 05:28 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input JP!

My question is, are the replacement TRS gears now Cryo treated at the factory?

Kurt
Old 09-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Registered

Boat is a single drive '77 Martini 7 meter V with considerable hull upgrades, stepped transom, and raised "X" dim. Best all round prop is a 29" Spinelli 4 bld. although a 27" Mirage (not plus), tweaked by Spinelli to about 28" will run just a tad faster in just the right conditions. Runs 80+ on gps most any day with moderate fuel load and 2 or 3 aboard.
I too would be very interested to know if Merc. is cryo-treating TRS parts. If so, I just cost a customer some bucks cause I wouldn't gaurantee the TRS rebuild I did for him unless he went for the treating. Maybe Dennis knows??! --- Jer