Notices

Cam for HP3

Old 09-19-2003, 10:46 AM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cam for HP3

Can anyone help locate the cam used in the HP3. I would like to upgrade 496HO with this cam.

Is there a gm part# available or an OEM comparable from Crane, Comp, etc.

Rick
Old 09-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Dennis Moore

I was in Las Vegas at the SEMA show when GM introduced the engine. I asked them for the camshaft specs and they acted like it was the secret formula for Coke!
The only way anybody is going to find out, is to remove one from an engine and have it measured.
Dennis Moore

Old 09-19-2003, 12:01 PM
rv
Registered

Thanks for the insight Dennis. It would seem to me that you should be able to buy parts from GM for this engine. If so, how can I found out the part number for this to order the cam?

Rick
Old 09-19-2003, 02:22 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cam that Crane grinds as a direct replacement for the 496 Mag HO 425 hp is part # 132561. Here is the spec card for that cam

http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/D...1=Display+Card

My understanding is that Crane also grinds the 377 Scorpion Cam and other batches for the factory but a quick call to Crane will verify that this was the cam installed by Mercruiser in that engine.
Hope this helps,
Bob
Old 09-19-2003, 03:01 PM
rv
Registered

rmbuilder,
Is that the cam that is in the 496HO or the cam in the HP3? I have the 496HO cam and looking for the HP3.

Rick
Old 09-19-2003, 03:29 PM
35/25

RV,
I see in the new GM Performance Parts catelog that the HP 3 is shown as the newest crate engine, to be available "soon". I think Sallee Chevrolet in Oregon is a big distributor of GM Perfomance parts and crate engines. They also do a lot of their own combinations using GM parts. Maybe you could give them a call and ask about the HP3 cam.

Rich

Old 09-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, call Tyler Crockett. He did a lot of the development for GM on the marine racing program. He also has developed a high performance package for that engine. I can talk to him about it if you would like and see what I can find out.

Bob
Old 09-20-2003, 05:30 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a price for the HP3 motors yet?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:08 AM
rv
Registered

Bob,
I would appreciate what you can find out from Tyler.

To the others, thanks for your replies. I will try Sallee and Crane.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-22-2003, 04:29 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rick,
I misread your original post re: 496 HO cam and apologize for the inaccurate information I responded with.
I spoke directly to a tech involved in the conversion of the 8100 Vortec to HP 3 spec for marine high performance applications. There are a number of necessary modifications required ( timing gear, PCM, intake, cylinder head, valve train) prior to the upgrading the 496 HO to HP 3 spec. It is much more extensive than a direct cam swap(to get it to work). The cam is a proprietary piece made, by Crane, developed specifically for this engine. To date part # and cam spec cards are "very difficult" to come by but the cam and related upgrades may(read expensive) be available. My guess is that GM and the companies outsourced to do the development are not going to be selling bolt on kits in the near future. If you would like more detailed information feel free to E-Mail me.
Hope this helps,
Bob

Quick Reply: Cam for HP3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.