Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Sea Strainer Mounting >

Sea Strainer Mounting

Notices

Sea Strainer Mounting

Old 09-25-2003, 12:59 PM
outlawntexas

Lightbulb Sea Strainer Mounting

I am going to install GIL sea strainers in the next few weeks. I am looking for thoughts on their height. On my last boat. I mounted the strainer to a stringer below the raw water pump. A lot of the water would drain out, as it does anyways from the pump. In this boat, there is no way to get between and below the engines, so I was thinking about mounting them in a location which would put them above the pumps. This then adds to the "head" of the inlet water line. It would also prevent the pump from draining out, which could improve start-up, as it will be primed.

Does anyone have experience with this scenario?

Thanks,
Bruce...

Old 09-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

I think it should be ok as long as the sea strainer is not above the waterline of the boat.....that woudl just add more resistance upon startup. Gravity is your frined when priming the system on startup.......if you have broken veins inthe sea water pump it may never be able to pull the water into the engine!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-25-2003, 02:50 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, if you are using a through hull pickup, the strainer must be above the water line. If it isn't the system will siphon when open.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:55 PM
outlawntexas

I'm using the standard Bravo 1 outdrive pickup (through the sides).

That's interesting about mounting it with reference to the water line. I wonder if there is a rule of thumb there? Hmmm....

Old 09-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Registered

On inboard applications (always equipped with thru-hull pickups) the sea strainer is always located below the waterline with the boat at rest. On my Cigarette with transom-mount water pickups the sea strainers are also located below the waterline when the boat is at rest..
Old 09-25-2003, 05:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If below the water line just put in a valve
Old 09-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Registered

Yeah, I forgot to mention the seacock required for the below-waterline installation.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

I just kind of assumed all systems have some sort of shut off valve.. but allas you know what happens when one assumes!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-26-2003, 02:56 PM
outlawntexas

Tell me, is the ball valve there in case a line breaks? If so, do you shut it off when you leave the boat in the water unattended/moored? I trailer mine, so is it there just in case I blow a line or something? One last question, could the water really run into the boat through the inlet on a Bravo1?

Thanks,
Bruce...

Old 09-26-2003, 03:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

If you blow an inlet line you got big problems. I have never seen one burst but if not secured properly it may pop off. They are rated at like 400 lbs pressure. The shut off is typically right before the strainer allowing you to shut off the water while cleaning it. I usually leave mine on all the time unless cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails Sea Strainer Mounting-strainer.jpg  

Last edited by Raypanic; 09-26-2003 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Sea Strainer Mounting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.