Holley Red Fuel Pump >

Holley Red Fuel Pump

Notices

Holley Red Fuel Pump

Old 10-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley Red Fuel Pump

Has anyone else had problems with these pumps? I bought on last year. It worked last year and half of this year. Then it would work sometimes. I would start the motor, pump would run for a few minutes and then die. If I waited 10 minutes, pump would start working and might work all day. I finally put a mech. pump back on it.

I bought a boat a few weeks ago with a holley red pump, that was new last year. and I have the same problem with this one. Works when it wants to. Is this normal? One year from a holley red pump?

Thanks Rob
Old 10-13-2003, 09:19 AM
Registered

Yep, I now use Mallory pumps. Be sure to check out pump location too. I've seen a lot of fuel pumps fail because they were too high up or too far from the tank.
Gary
Old 10-13-2003, 11:38 AM
Dennis Moore

The air cooled motor on an electric fuel pump is designed for drag racing where they would NOT be run constantly (only long enough to do some burnouts, stage, race and come back on the return road). They are designed to be installed at the rear of a race car, mounted low, and they usually receive a lot of air to keep them cool as the car goes down the track. When used in a marine application, they are installed in a hot engine compartment and run for hours at a time. The air cooled motor overheats and doesn't last long.

The fuel cooled electric fuel pump will last much longer because they are submerged in the gas tank (automotive/truck) or are designed so the fuel (that's being pumped) will pass over the motors armature to keep it cool. These are usually called in-line fuel pumps. Any electric fuel pump used in a marine application should be the in-line, fuel cooled type.

Dennis Moore

Old 10-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered

BTW, The Mallory comes in Marine versions of the 110 gph and 140 gph (requires regulator). Have always had good luck with the 110 gph on engines up to 500 hp.
Gary
Old 10-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

Thanks Guys.

Seems weird Holley sells a Marine pump, mine says marine right on it. You would think they would know its gonna get hot and run alot.

Most the inline ones I have seen are for FI engines and put out 60psi. I only need 7psi.

Is the mallory 110 with a regulator ok for carbed motors. Is it an inline or intank. I don't really want to mess with an intank as I can't get to the tank.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Registered

The 110 is inline, 7psi, and does not require a regulator. Best part is that the marine is only about $10 more than the auto version. Can be bought through Jegs or Summit, online.
Mount it as close to the tank as you can and as low as possible (out of bilge water though) and I've found they work great.
Gary
Old 10-13-2003, 01:15 PM
Registered

Thanks I'll order one today.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Registered

Ive had the Holley Blues, Blacks, and Reds...IMO, they are all junk. They just dont seem to last. I went to Mallory and havent had any problems yet. I started with the 110 (reg not needed). No problems at all. Just needed a bit more pressure, so went to the 140 (with regulator) and all is well.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:59 PM
Registered

Got 190 hours on a pair of reds. Still going strong.