572 buildup questions (long) >

572 buildup questions (long)

Notices

572 buildup questions (long)

Old 11-16-2003, 04:25 PM
robert _l

Default 572 buildup questions (long)

Hi Guys,
I am looking at building up a 572CI motor for an automotive application and was hoping to tap into the offshore community's experience with these motors.

I'l looking to build a 4.5" bore, 4.5" stroke NA motor for the street with the occasional trip to the drag strip. I'll be using a tall deck (10.2"). No nitrous. It will never see more than about 5800 RPMs. I have a few questions:

1. Rod length. The two common rod length options are 6.535" and 6.7". The 6.535" rod leads to a compression height (CH) of 1.415". No oil ring support rails. Rod to stroke ratio (R/S) is 1.45. The 6.7" rod translates into a 1.25" CH and a 1.49 R/S. Which of these approaches would give longer service? Better oil control?

2. Camshaft - hydraulic or solid roller? My thinking is that I'll need an aggressive hydraulic roller or a pretty mild solid roller cam, something around .630 lift. Any thoughts as to which one would give longer service. I am planning on using the lifters that make use of the hi pressure pin oiling. I am ok with the maintenance on the solid roller cam, but am a little worried about reliability. Any thoughts?

3. Shaft rockers. Jesel has some sportsman shaft rockers out for $695 that look pretty good. Any thoughts on an inexpensive shaft setup versus roller rockers and a stud girdle on aluminum heads?

4. Valve spring oilers - the oil spray bars that are aimed at the valve springs. Are these worth the plumbing hassles?

5. What is the least reliable part of an engine like this?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Best,
Bob