Notices

salt water

Old 11-18-2003, 04:11 PM
vanderheyden

Default salt water

i am looking at a 1986 bayliner cuddy in/outboard that has been sitting for about 6 years.The owner claims that there are only about 35 hours on the motoe and boat.It doesnt start because he says there must be a fuse blown How can i tell if the boat as been in salt water ?

Old 11-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Better question.... How much are you willing to spend to find out why it's REALLY not starting! haha.

Take it to a certified mechanic that works on what ever type of engine is in it. Suggest having the owner pay for the estimate and diagnosis time if there's anything more than a bad fuse.

If the owner is telling the truth -- he/she'll be glad to pay for this. Otherwise, you're gonna have project boat!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off , are you near salt water or are you in Minnesota? If your near the ocean or other body of salt water there is a possibility it's had a taste.
Warning...don't buy until you see and hear it run. Better yet , a test drive. Unless of course it's REALLY cheap. Everyone I know who bought one with out running it got burned . Including one guy who even had to "put out" is burning exhaust hoses , because he took the previous owners word
Old 11-18-2003, 06:18 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be very concerned with it sitting for 6 years. The motor is probably junk due to the condensation that forms. I would not be too concerned with the salt water issue. Does the motor crank but not start? Or is it dead completely? If it is dead, put a breaker bar on the bolt in the front of the crank, on the dampener. Try to turn it over with the breaker bar. If it doesn't move, the motor is most likely rusted. Remember, don't force it too much, you could break the bolt off in the crank.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was me, I would ask the guy if he did anything to the boat / motor when he put it away. For instance if he knows nothing about fogging out the cylinders or putting stabilizer in the fuel chances are he doesn't know much about boats and has no idea the real reason it doesn't run. If he didn't fog it and it has been 6 years chances are those cylinder walls are all rusted up. I have had my 89 formula with a 454 in salt water for most of its life and with RELIGIOUS flushing it is nothing to worry about.