Roller rocker noise >

Roller rocker noise

Notices

Roller rocker noise

Old 12-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roller rocker noise

My engines both seem to have excessive valve train noise. I run edelbrock heads and the rockers shown below. When I rev the engines, they clatter. I have switched the heads before and run the stamped rockers and the engines sounded nice. They sound like crap with the rockers shown and the edelbrock stud shown.

Anyone know what rockers these are? There are no part numbers stamped on them. How might I get this valve train to quiet down. Buy new rocker arms? I measure the ID of the rocker bore (mounts to stud) and get .440". I measure the stud and get .430". Is that an allowable clearance? Seems excessive. Also, the rocker bore rides on the threads of the stud which seems like a bad design. What would you recommend?

I can't stand the rattle and need advise.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Roller rocker noise-mvc-034s.jpg  
Old 12-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Registered

Default The other view

Side view
Attached Thumbnails Roller rocker noise-mvc-033s.jpg  
Old 12-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Registered

Those rockers are crane enegizer's i believe. Cheaper then the crane golds... Like $180. All roller rockers make noise.. Dads clatter too. Mine probably make noise, but my motor is so loud I can't hear a thing..

Last edited by traviss; 12-06-2003 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Registered

Thanks traviss. From cranes website I think you are right on. Now the question is, how much noise is too much. Mine sound good at idle, but any rev up and they are rattling. I'd much rather have the sound of the piece o crap stamped Any suggestions?

Dave
Old 12-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Registered

Like you said you switched to stamped rockers and the noise went away, so it is the roller rockers only. I know they make a little noise, i don't know how much is to much How long have you run these? My dads have had the same clatter for the last 4 years. The way i build my motor, i just buy a new set of crane golds every year their always new and not to noisy
Old 12-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Ric232

I've heard that Cranes are noisier than Comp Cams Pro Magnum rockers, but I cannot confirm that.

Old 12-07-2003, 07:16 AM
Registered

I'll check out the comp rockers Ric232. If I buy new ones I want much less noise. I have two seasons on these traviss and I am not sure how long they were run before I bought the boat, but don't think it was too much.

Any other input on which rockers are quietest or how to quiet down what I have? Thanks

Dave
Old 12-07-2003, 08:21 AM
Registered

Ive got Crane Golds on one engine and they make a little noise at idle but none any other time. The Harlan Sharps on the other engine make no noise at all. They can be bought for about $180 a set.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I can't hear mine at all.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Registered

Where can I check out the harlin sharps F31? I like the price. Sounds like maybe these are just tired and in need of replacement. What is odd is that the bearings all seem tight. Seems the noise must be coming from the fulcrum rocking back and forth on the stud. I can move the rockers a little front and back, side to side on the stud and I'm not sure changing rockers will fix this. Anyone happen to have a good rocker laying around they could measure the ID of the fulcrum. Mine measures round and at .440. If a new one measures .4375 I think I found my rattling.

Dave

Quick Reply: Roller rocker noise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.