seemingly simple story problem... >

seemingly simple story problem...

Notices

seemingly simple story problem...

Old 12-09-2003, 08:51 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seemingly simple story problem...

Timmy wants to get a pipe to a hose barb adapter. Now he knows the threaded end of the pipe is 2". Timmy also wants to maintain the same ID between the pipe and the hose. What size hose would Timmy want to use?

Hint: this has to do with some freeky disrelationship between pipe id and hose od or hose id and pipe od measurements.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Registered

2 1/4"?
2" pipe has an ID of 2", OD of 2 1/4". So if you need to mate up the 1 1/4" water inlet line on your boat to a standard pipe, use 1" pipe.
Very handy for custom plumbing on boats.
Gary
Old 12-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Thanks. Unfortunately, at this point hose starts jumping in even inch increments. So it's either 2" (which would be a tad undersize for 2" pipe) or 3". Guess I'm stuck with 2" hose.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Registered

Depends on what type of hose. Radiator hose is available in 1/4" increments. I wouldnt use it between the water pickup and pump. It might collapse.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Where is this hose that Timmy want's to use?? Exhaust water? Where?? Timmy needs to provide more information to the class.

'Foul
Old 12-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Timmy gave the class enough freekin' info! The class just keeps on trying to out think the question. Actually this has to do with my other post regarding the exhaust block off plate. I need to come up with a way to make the props slip a little on the new drive when planing. I think I've come up with a way and I'm kinda giddy for having thought it up. Now we just have to see if it will actually work.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:11 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell me, Tell me. I wanna know about the giddy idea!
Old 12-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Registered

Hey Cord,
Did I get the correct answer? Did I win anything?
Old 12-10-2003, 02:26 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by Gary Anderson
2 1/4"?
2" pipe has an ID of 2", OD of 2 1/4". So if you need to mate up the 1 1/4" water inlet line on your boat to a standard pipe, use 1" pipe.
Very handy for custom plumbing on boats.
Gary

Well the 2 1/4" was the answer that I was looking for. I believe the hose has to be stepped up one size so the hose id is the same as the pipe id. As for the rest of it...I never mentioned anything about water pipes...if you had stopped at the first line, I would have marked your answer correct, but as you responded I have to mark it wrong.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by RLW
Tell me, Tell me. I wanna know about the giddy idea!

This won't work on a bravo drive. The blackhawk drives really bite when planing. Bite so well that they bog the engine. Merc originally designed the drive so the "through prop" exhaust would ventilate the props when planing. I can't run through prop exhaust on my boat because of the extension box. So I'm doing the next best thing. I thought that if I would hook a hose up to the exhaust block off plate that when the boat is moving forward it would suck air and ventilate the props. When running at speed, the suction would be eliminated because the exhaust port is now running at the surface. To keep water from backing up and sinking the boat, I'm using a check valve and have a hose that will extend above the water line in case the valve leaks. That's why I wanted to know the pipe to hose relationship. I had a 2" check valve and felt the system would be very sensitive to restrictions and didn't want to end up with too small of a hose because of some freaky size differential.

Quick Reply: seemingly simple story problem...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.