Need Help!!502 Mpi Hole In Piston

Notices

Need Help!!502 Mpi Hole In Piston

Old 12-27-2003, 08:14 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help!!502 Mpi Hole In Piston

WE PULLED JAMIE'S 502 MPI OUT. #6 PISTON HAD A HOLE ALL THE WAY THRU IT. HOLE WAS UNDER SPARK PLUG. PISTON IS HEAT DISTORTED ON TOP AS IF IT LEANED OUT. WE PULLED HEADS OFF OF OTHER MOTOR AND FOUND #6 IN SAME SHAPE. BUT NOT BURNED THRU YET. ALL OTHER 14 PISTONS LOOK PERFECT. MOTORS ARE STOCK EXCEPT FOR CMI EXHAUST, WATER CROSS OVERS,AND ARIZONA SPEED REPROGRAMMING BOXES.MOTORS HAVE APPROX 250 HOURS ON THEM. WHAT COULD MAKE THIS HAPPEN TO BOTH MOTORS SAME CYLINDER. WERE STUMPED WHAT DO YOU THINK OR KNOW? RON
Old 12-27-2003, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar things have been know to happen on small blocks. One cylinder was always either burning through a piston or burning an exhaust valve. I believe Smoky Unick had that problem years ago and assumed it was either poor water flow around that one cylinder, or not enough fuel to that one cylinder causing a lean out... but if your engine is fuel injected... I would have a tendency to think that one cylinder runs hotter. According to the old hot rod guys... the way they circumvented the problem was by lowering the compression on just that one cylinder.... sounds crazy,,,, but that way they could run maximum ignition advance and fuel mixture on the other seven and get more performance than just rejetting and retarding.... Just my guess... good luck...
Old 12-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have seen one clogged injector do that to an MPI engine. It is unlikely but possible you have the same problem on 2 engines. Or as Reed said there is a cooling problem-possibly due to the crossovers. Do you have any idea what water pressure the engines were running??
Old 12-27-2003, 10:07 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

I KNOW HE DOES NOT HAVE PRESSURE GAGES
Old 12-27-2003, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the problem cylinder on those engines. There are a variety of cures. Make sure that the bolts are not bottoming out, vent the heads, run a colder plug on #6 and/or a bigger injector.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Just for kicks, check the cam lobes for abnormal wear (degree wheel and dial indicator).
Old 12-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Registered

Could it be a programming issue? #6 getting too much advance or lean mixture?
Old 12-28-2003, 07:06 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

It sounds very unusual to me that both #6 pistons would be running lean. Since both ECU's have been re-mapped, it sounds to me like another Arizona Speed and Marine screw up. How many hours have you put on the motors since having the ECU's done?
Old 12-28-2003, 07:55 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I would check the flow of those 2 injectors. Then I would check fuel pressure for both engines. If all that is OK then its the exhaust or reprogramming. Or a combination of both.

Last edited by GO4BROKE; 12-28-2003 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:24 AM
Ric232

I've heard the same thing that the #6 cylinder typically runs lean in the 454/502 motors. I have no idea why.

I also don't think the ECU's are capable of sending a different amount of fuel to each injector. I think the computers are too dumb for that, especially if it is a MEFI1 system. It sounds like the motors in question are pre-serpentine belt applications, so they would be MEFI1. The MEFI3 ECU may not be capable of that either.

Quick Reply: Need Help!!502 Mpi Hole In Piston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.