Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Sunken Baja Where do I Start? >

Sunken Baja Where do I Start?

Notices

Sunken Baja Where do I Start?

Old 01-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Dono72227

Question Sunken Baja Where do I Start?

I purchased a 1993 Baja 22 Caliber, (454, Bravo) from an insurance company, the boat was totaled due to a fresh water sinking in mid June, 2003. The boat was knocked into gear at a marina and circled in reverse until it took on enough water to sink. As soon as the boat sank a salvage crew began the process of right siding the boat and recovering it. Within two hours of sinking the boat was on a trailer. The local Baja dealer preserved the engine the following day and confirmed the boat was running on shop gas. The dealer supposedly sprayed/treated the exposed electrical connections. The only signs of damage to the hull are top side gelcoat scratches in the area of the swim platform and damage where the ladder was ripped from the hull in the recovery process. The deck lid hinges have been in a bind but i manage to open the hatch. The interior will need to be replaced still a little moisture under the foam as of last week. No visible signs of corrosion on the wiring connections, approximately 3 weeks after revcovery all electrical systems and gauges appeared to be functioning. Before purchase the dealer pumped out the lake water from the fuel tank and treated it, replaced the starter as it had failed and lake tested the boat. The boat was winterized and put in warehouse uncovered to dry out for the last six months.
The process of where do I start and what next has begun. The interior and cosmetic stuff is a given as well as replacing the guages. What should I look for and what should I check or replace.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Sunken Baja Where do I Start?-caliber1.jpg  

Old 01-05-2004, 07:25 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STARTER & ALTERNATOR WILL TRAP WATER IN THEM. THEY NEED TO BE TAKEN APART & GONE THREW. SAME GO'S WITH ANY ELECTRIC PUMP OR MOTOR. LIKE TRIM PUMPS & TABS, GAUGES, SHORE POWER PANEL, FRIG, BATTERY CHARGER, ECT.

Last edited by WILDTHING TAZ; 01-05-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Strip everything you can out of the boat. That doesn't mean throw it away it just means take everything you feel comfortable with taking out - out!! Then you can inspect every nook and crany in the boat for signs of water that might be trapped in the boat. Also inspect for any wood that was exposed to the water and inspect it for ROT, or dry it out. The dealer "spray treating the electrical componets" means they sprayed behind the dash and all other exposed wires with
"WD-40"

As for the interior, it might be able to be saved!! Try just taking it apart, I mean take it completely apart and let the foam and wood dry out. When you get ready to put it back together get Stainless Staples or at least stapels that won't rust!!

That should get you started as far as the Boat is concerned, the motor might only need a couple of good oil changes after it's run for a while. Or it might need to be rebuilt?? Who knows?? At least it running now!!

Good luck!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess the first thing I should have told you is to....

1. buy a "wet-vac" or "shop-vac"
2. tilt up the nose and let it drain all the time!!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont be surprised to find lots of water trapped forward . I have seen very very improper drainage installed between bulkheads and stringers on many boats, even formula's. make sure you can see every nook and cranny forward of the engine room bulkhead no matter what you have to tear out.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Definetly plan on replacing every electical motor. The distributor, alternator, solinoids all will be bad. Mine worked for maybe 3 months and then failed. You'll have to replace all the gauges. Take every "sealed" electrical connection apart and clean it. Put some contact grease on it to slow the corrosion. It sounds like the dealer did it right by preserving the engine, tank, etc. He did you a major favor with those few things.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I might add. If it has cable steering remove the cable, take out the center and let it dry. Then grease it real good and reassemble.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Dono72227

I guess the other question is can I accomplish this for 3 grand or less. I don't want to overspend on this project.
I've owned this boat for several years watched it sink with about 100 other people and 2 sheriffs deputys. Got a 1st right of refusal on the buy back and couldn't pass on the offer. Couldn't bare to see someone else in my boat for the price the insurance company offered it back at. I have no idea what the thing would be worh if i sold it as is with full disclosure the title is clear never changed hands or if I redo the boat how it will affect the value. The boats 11 years old and a 22 footer, one very fast 22 footer though. Any thoughts?

Old 01-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

If you held onto it for a couple of years, it really wouldn't affect it's effective value. Now I'm only speaking on the terms of damages. It's the title that's going to hurt the monetary value. Because the boat now has a salvage title, the boats monetary value is probably 1/2 of it's book value. Ultimately, if you fix it cheap and can use it for a couple of years, there is no reason why it wouldn't be a good investment.

Scour the net for used parts. Don't go down to your local merc dealer for new stuff. If you do that and do the work yourself, then you'll be ok.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

They sink up here all the time The seasonal folks go home for a few week and a nasty storm will brew up and send their boat to the bottom. If it was recovered immediately, and they had it running right after, you will probably be ok with just drying things out.

I say beat the hell outta it and see what goes wrong

Quick Reply: Sunken Baja Where do I Start?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.