Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Marine Audio Questions >

Marine Audio Questions

Notices

Marine Audio Questions

Old 01-07-2004, 11:48 PM
autsound

Question Marine Audio Questions

Just curious to what people are doing to satisfy marine audio needs for their boats. Where are you getting product; are you happy with the system in your boat now; and why? What do you not like about the present day marine audio industry?

Old 01-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is guys that own auto install places think they can do boats and they do not have a clue. So their fresh out of highschool drop out installers use steel screws in a boat and they wind up rusting. Not to mention instead of through bolting the speakers and amps in they use screws and they all fall out. They do not realize the difference btwn the ussually high school dork driving a 500 dollar car putting in a 10,000 dollar system and a 100-500K boat and they do not take the proper precautions to protect the boat and do the installation to a higher level. Should I stop now or go on
Old 01-08-2004, 05:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I have had good luck using an automotive stereo with marine speakers. I'm not really into the high end stuff though. I just want something that sounds decent and will last.

What don't I like about the marine audio industry? The price of marine equip vs. their auto equivelent.

Dave M.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

What about new boats? The boat that you just bought or are looking to buy. Does the factory audio system installed in the boat reflect it's 100K to 500K price tag? Or in other words, is it what you would expect in a boat of that price range? I think that boat manufacturers are missing the boat in this area. It seems to me that the audio systems that are currently available in these boats are last minute decisions. They are the last thing considered in the manufacturing process. On paper this might not be a big deal. But what raises eyebrows is after you pay lets say, 400K for a boat, you still have to go out on your own and drop another 5K to 10K on a audio system that is compatable with the boat you just bought! And nine times out of ten it's some guy who does car audio and he's thinking, stainless? What's that? So it gets rough out there, well, then we'll double up on the velcro! There's ways the manufacturers can solve this problem, but the issues are not getting back to them. Audio systems in boats are a hidden obsession with boaters.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:36 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have to agree with above posts, stock stuff is crap. Most boat manufacturers find the cheapest stuff to fill the holes.

I am currently installing a new system. I picked Sony this time because I like their wired remote. Never tried them before, we will see how it goes.

Steve H
Old 01-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sony line with wired remote is great. You may also want to look at;
http://www.ssiamerica.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=CMP
This has a wired remote and can plug into the AUX port on any head unit. I have a 50gb mp3 library. By storing it all on the NEO unit no more CD's to lose or scratch! You can also get an additional bay and put in your tow vehicle. Comes with a home/computer adapter.

If anyone is interested I have a source at somewhat of a discount from the SSI site. Nothing in it for me, just where I got mine.

Last edited by BadDog; 01-08-2004 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run all sony eclipse, it is loud and sounds good outdoors. Remember most speakers are designed to be in an accoustic environment that bounces sound around back and forth, in a boat you lose that effect except in the cabin.

Don't forget to finish off your system with quailty looking billet audio covers.

Sorry could not resist.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
speaker.gif (64.5 KB, 204 views)
Old 01-10-2004, 04:05 PM
blownboat

What brand are those speaker grills????Those are cool.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Blown they are advertisers. Go to the advertising section and check them out
Old 01-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Audio.... I like your insight on 500 dollar cars with 10,000 dollar audio systems... too funny I've seen what happens to grabber screws in a marine environment... Toast in one season!

Quick Reply: Marine Audio Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.