Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to tell if ALPHA drives are SS variety?? >

How to tell if ALPHA drives are SS variety??

Notices

How to tell if ALPHA drives are SS variety??

Old 01-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to tell if ALPHA drives are SS variety??

I have an '87 Chaparral Villain 454's and wondering how to know if the alpha drives are SS or not?

Thanks

Last edited by njgr8ful; 01-08-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Alpha 1 SS's lower units
resemble the high perf.
mercury outboard lower unit
( C.L.E. type)

The lower unit has a crescent shaped
leading edge, and a swept back skeg.

Hope this helps

jt
Old 01-09-2004, 06:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

They are also 2'' shorter than a std. Alpha
I'll measure mine when I get home tonight and post the results, so you can compare.(wait...that doesn't sound right does it?).....I mean the drive......
Old 01-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

Cool Clarity

Thanks jt29OL .. I guess mine are not SS then Sounds like they'd be very easily identifiable. I was thinking (hoping) for maybe a more subtle difference in the looks and maybe more of an inners, gear difference or something. Giving mine a shot at being SS. But mine are 'normal' looking and prolly not. O'well running these with the 454's isn't the primo set up, but for now that's what I got.

Originally posted by Sonic30ss
They are also 2'' shorter than a std. Alpha
I'll measure mine when I get home tonight and post the results, so you can compare.(wait...that doesn't sound right does it?).....I mean the drive......
Sonic30SS So lemme get this straight. 2" shorter is good for ALPHAs, but maybe no sooo good down ................................ Thanks. If ya get the chance to measure 'it' post your results. Size may matter!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Banned

The SS is shorter with the CLE, but there are some standard alphas with a CLE nosecone added.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Registered

measured.. side by side.. my alpha SS is 3 inches shorter Propshaft C/L to input shaft C/L than my Alpha GEN II... 19 inches for the SS, 22 for the GEN II...

The driveshaft housing is unique and irreplacable unless you can find one somewhere... The gearcase is a CLE gearcase just like the outboards.. the Alpha SS gearcase is more beefy than the standard outboard cases in terms of wall thickness, etc but takes the same internal components and the outboard CLE will bolt right up to the driveshaft housing... so no worries if you puke one... i actually have a MODVP gearcase on my SS with the side water pickups vs the low waters that always suck up weeds... i have ZERO cooling issues. I have measured this gearcase combo against a true full SS and it is the same dimension C/L to C/L... just so no one thinks i'm cheating

I also have the alpha SS mounted to my GEN II transom assy... so don't let anyone tell you it can't be done...

Last edited by jaroot; 01-09-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Registered

Finally found a pic of mine.

Had this one behind a blown small block for 8 or 9 years. Pretty old transom assembly.

89 Model Seebold 21 pad V Ran 93 with the 1.32 gears and 27 pitch prop. 5,200 RPM

This pic just before I sold the boat. Smaller prop and mild 350 engine.
Drive still running strong.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Registered

Cool shhweeeeet

Jaroot very nice & super mint condition! Is that a Donzi she's mounted too? Details, details, details please!!! More photos if you've got em. Thanks for info and pics fellas ... infomaniac 93! w/an ALPHA drive WOW! never would have thunk it possible

Now I'm 100% sure mine are not SS I'll have to keep my eye out for a couple (yeah good luck right?! ) if you say you can indeed mount an SS to a GENII assembly!

Great info folks! Thank you
Old 01-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Registered

It was a well respected boat around here. The hull was Kevlar. Light as a feather. Would carry the nose like a bass boat. Was the Seebold demo boat. Sat in their warehouse in St. Louis until 1992.

Notice the Recoil speedo pick up. Would trash any pick up sometimes one trip to the lake until I installed that one. The only GPS affordable then was hand held.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Wow, when I bought my boat I was told how weak the SS drives were, to be careful...Bla Bla Bla....
But it seems there are still quite a few of them still running around.
Jaroot- thats some great info , about the CLE lowers
I'm having both of my drives "gone thru " (bearings, seals&check gears)over the winter, anything I should look for? One, more thing, are your cases powder coated I was thinking of doing that to mine.
THANKS

Quick Reply: How to tell if ALPHA drives are SS variety??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.