Carb selection >

Carb selection

Notices

Carb selection

Old 01-21-2004, 03:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb selection

I am putting together a 502 crate motor that started out as a zz 502.Rite now all I have is my 750 carter from my old motor.I was considering a 9022 holley.I assume this will bolt to my rpm air gap manifold and that I will need the throttle bracket and merc cable adaptor.Is this a performance improving mod.I am a little nervous of mid range lean condition on the carter.How close is the jetting on these carbs out of the box.I have no jetting experiance with holleys,but are verry comfortable jetting the carter.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The Holley would be my choice! That is what I run. Do a search of "jetting 800cfm Holleycarburators" and you will find all the info you need.
If you are going to be running tube headers than you will want to jet it up a few sizes to start with otherwise you could start with stock or maybe a couple of sizes richer and do some plug readings. The Holley 9022 does have a vacuum port so if you want to do it properly you could plumb a tempory vacuum gauge up to the helm, and then make indicators of mid throttle position (just before you start to open the secondaries) and jet to the highest vacuum. Then do your wide open throttle runs and reads to dial in the secondaries.
You can get alot more involved if you want and make very slight adjustments to the powervalve restrictor for WOT. But most people just make the adjustments with the jets, it will get you close enough!
If you can tune a Carter you can very easily learn to tune a Holley!
Old 01-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

You can get the throttle bracket and adapter for the morse cable from any aftermarket supplier for about $25. I got mine from EMI. The Holley should botl up to your manifold. Most are tapped for both Holleys and Carters.
Holley 800 with mech secondaries would be my choice. I think there is one off an HP500 for sale in the classifieds with the intake. It was run in salt so the intake could be worthless depending on its condition.