How complicated is it to bebuild a Rochester Q-Jet >

How complicated is it to bebuild a Rochester Q-Jet

Notices

How complicated is it to bebuild a Rochester Q-Jet

Old 02-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How complicated is it to bebuild a Rochester Q-Jet

Hope this question isn't too pathetic ((the stupidest question is the one not asked, right )) I need to rebuild my 2 Q-Jets and wondering if it's a job I can do myself? I've got the carbs off ... good start LOL and looking to buy this kit on Ebay?? and can handle most all other mechanical jobs I've attempted. So is it simple or ????

I've got to begin doing this stuff myself. 2 engines, 2X the problems, 2 chances to get it right!

Thanks for any and all help, encouragement, or suggestions.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Registered

Not too bad. Pickup a merc sevice manual and take your time(cleaning and paying attention to parts locations). The kits from merc are 22.00 bucks (cheap). They come with a float level indicator and needle/seat. If the metering rods look corroded merc has a kit for that. The genuine merc manuals are the best for carbs too. Also the screws losen up that connect the throttle plates to the bowl housing.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:29 PM
meyerwrench

I would find out if the kits are OEM or after market. The parts in an OEM kit are better quality. As far as rebuilding they are not too tough. Do one at a time and you can always look at the other one. If you have any question just ask me I have been rebuilding them for 25 years.

Old 02-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Registered

Do it yourself and take the advise from the guys above. This will be a very satisfying undertaking I suspect. If you run into trouble OSO is only a few clicks away.. Just a couple words of caution, check the diameter of the new needle/seat. Often qjet rebuild kits come with a n/s sized more appropriate for automotive. Secondly,If you decide to paint your finished carbs, only spray the sides, none on the choke plates or in the air intake area. Lastly, loctite the screws that go into the underside of the carb. You wouldn't want one of these falling out.

Dave
Old 02-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Registered

Thanks guys!

marinetrans, do you have a link for Merc kits for $22 or know where?? Also the manuals?? I'm searching around too, just thought you might have a source for these

Thanks meyerwrench .. 25 yrs sounds like a career .. where you located lol!

Hey Dave, yeah i hope to have a few of these 'satisfying undertakings' in the near future, these bring the first 2 of many .. thx for tips and encouragement!

I'll be back!! Don't go anywhere. hehe
Old 02-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Registered

You can get the kit from a local merc dealer. Merc pn#823426A1. Far as the manual, give the merc dealer a serial # of your motor or year and they can look it up in merc's publications book.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:54 PM
meyerwrench

Southern Illinois, but I have relatives in Linden NJ

Old 02-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have called Mercury Marine publishing and got the factory service manual specifically for my motor. I think it was only around $25. Just give them your serial number. It is a great manual, covers everything from flame arrestor nut to oil drain screw in detail. Highly recommend them.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you do the Q-jets make sure you epoxy the bowl plugs on the bottom. There are 2 lead plugs under the bowl that will leak and cause rich starts. Easy to do and will make them work better in the long run.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by insptech
When you do the Q-jets make sure you epoxy the bowl plugs on the bottom. There are 2 lead plugs under the bowl that will leak and cause rich starts. Easy to do and will make them work better in the long run.
took the words right out of my mouth. I have never been a big fan of the quadra jet. Tuning them for Hi-HP they always seem to come up lean. Plus I hate those stupid paper filter inserts.

Roby