which outboards to trust >

which outboards to trust

Notices

which outboards to trust

Old 02-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which outboards to trust

looking into a new (used boat) never owned or worked on outboards. I am looking for recommondations on which are the most reliable?? have heard great things about Mercs and Yamahas, but heard early Optimax's had some problems, I don't want to buy a grenade!! looking at buying center console with twins so problems will be twice as bad if I have them
Old 02-11-2004, 06:52 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the boys over at www.screamandfly.com
They are the experts when it comes to outboards.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guys at screamandfly are a great source of info but are definitely more into the speed stuff, and Merc rules in most of their hearts and minds.

Try http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=16

for a bunch of guys that use outboards to the max, many are commercial fisherman putting hundreds or thousands of hours on their engines.
Bombardier engineering did an incredible job with the purchase of OMC. They engineered out the probs with the Ficht engines and designed the next generation E-Tecs. Dollar for dollar these are the most reliable and fuel efficient outboards on the market today, beating out many four-strokes. They are offered with a 7 year warranty until Apri 15.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Registered

My duck hunting/fishing boat has a 40HP Yamaha 4 stroke. I love the motor...you can't even hear it run. When you pull the cover off a 4 stroke they are very simple. It is only a few months old so as for reliability...time will tell but I know a lot of people with all sizes of Yamaha's that are extremely happy.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Ric232

Evinrude or Yamaha; I'm a big Merc fan for sterndrives, but not outboards.

Old 02-12-2004, 06:50 AM
Registered

We work with a lot of off-shore fishermen. It seems everybody has their own preference. From what I've seen all the new outboards are very reliable. The new Suzuki 250 4 stroke is very impressive.

From what I've seen with working with the outboards is that the Yamaha's are great, hard working, reliable motors but are not as fast as the Merc's. I would definitely go with either a direct injected or 4 stroke. The fuel savings are incredible when compared to a carb or EFI outboard.

Matt
Old 02-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Registered

really the choices I will have will probably merc 225 opti, 250 EFI, and some have 225/250 Johnson ocean runners, looking at high perf center consoles, two motor repairs could get expensive, a friend had mid 90's evinrudes and had big powerhead trouble I don't want that
Old 02-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

marktt

what application?

For all out performance you are nuts to go anywhere other then Merc - parts and knowledge are easily available.

If you want a turnkey workhorse, then fuel economy issues come into play.

There is no simpler and more rugged motor on the planet than a freshwater carbureted two stroke running on premix. Salt use limits their useful life and all brands have issues with oil injection pumps.

Four strokes, injected two strokes, Ficht, Optimax, all the high tech motors have a lot more to go wrong with them. But they offer smooth instant starts, smokeless operation, and excellent fuel economy in addition to being exceptionally quiet.

like I said, it is a matter of what your application is.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:57 PM
RM2
Registered

I work for all the major boat yards in my area. For the most part all of the new models are dependable and fuel effiecient with Merc and Yamaha the top guns.

For offshore fishing fuel economy is important for both fuel savings and range, go 4 stroke or High pressure injection.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Ric232

If you're looking at new motors, like many said, most are very reliable. Each person has their own loyalties.

My personal preference with new motors would be:

1. Evinrude (they are as fast as Merc)
2. Yamaha/Merc (depending on whether I wanted speed or reliability)
3. Johnson carb'd motors (probably tops in reliability, but fuel thirsty)

Before you all go off on an anti-OMC kick, I'm talking about either new, Bombardier built Evinrude/Johnson motors, or ones that are more than 10 yrs old. I would not touch anything in between (except the Johnson's really were good all the way through).

Quick Reply: which outboards to trust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.