Aluminum Boat repairs??

Notices

Aluminum Boat repairs??

Old 02-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aluminum Boat repairs??

OK.. this one is a new one for me.. A good friend asked what to patch an aluminum fishing boat with. What kind of goop will hold up to high speed fishing.. like 32mph??

Thanks..

Dick
Old 02-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mr Gadgets. long time no see. We probably ought to have dinner at 84 East one of these evenings and catch up.
The structural adhesives currently being used by the auto makers and bodyshops would do alright. Otherwise you could do a rivet patch.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I put a couple of patches on my little fishing boat. They really screw up the hydrodynamics, but hey, it's only a fishing boat. I prefit the patch so it was laying real nice. I put a piece of metal on both the inside and the outside. I then gooped up both pieces with 5200 and squished them in place. My boat doesn't go 30 mph so I stopped there, but 4 pop rivits could have been easily added. I smoothed the 5200 with a wet finger so it looked good.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had good luck with JB Weld. Holding fine after 3 years.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Banned

Riveting a patch on with 5200 to seal it may work, but just putting goop on it won't. I tried jb weld on mine, but it wouldn't hold. The cracks were on the bottom where the supports ran across the hull. I tried some other bad azz adhesive (can't remember which), when I got on a plane, it made big bubble gum bubbles full of water. I finally got rid of it because I was afraid the bow was just going to snap off while I was running and make a quick dive to the bottom.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok.. I hear you. I heard of using bedliner spray, and one guy said JB weld. I was thinking Spectrem 2 silicone sealer. It is different than regular silicone, it will stick to glass. New stuff sort of.

Anyway they found the leak at a point where there are rivets and one of the trailer bunk rollers sits. So I guess they have a handle on it.
I do appreciate the info.. this board is great. All the knowledge all pent up ready to burst forward at who ever needs it.

And Dave you are right. We should do a get together. I have been so busy the last five months on my shop. Every free moment is spent on it. I still dont have it enclosed, but hope to make big progress this four day weekend. What no one else has four off??? Let's see, an unpaid day for the State, and a Holiday for me and Valentines day for the better half and a Sunday to watch a race?? Or is the race next week.. cant keep up..

Thanks
Dick