Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How should I sell the B1 lower?? >

How should I sell the B1 lower??

Notices

How should I sell the B1 lower??

Old 02-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How should I sell the B1 lower??

I have a 2002 Bravo One Lower that I bought to put on my boat. I bought this last spring. It was a new warranty take off from a demo boat that had a problem with the upper. When I received it I had my Merc dealer dis-assemble it and check it over. He found a bearing that had a little discoloration from upper crud and it cleaned up just fine. He is friend of mine and is an expert drive builder, Master Tech. He said it he would have no hesitation in running it. Only had a few hours on it. Looked just fine to him.

Subsequent to assembling the drive I bought a complete XZ so I now have a spare lower and could use the money to build a garage. He said he would order a new bearing for me since we are putting it up for sale and it was not very much money anyway.

My question is should I have him put it back together or sell it disassembled? If you bought a used lower would you rather have it a hundred or so less and in pieces or all together? When I bought it I had it tore down just for piece of mind. Would you all do the same. No point in cashing in a favor if someone is just going to tear it down again for inspection.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have it reassembled. Won't get chit for it otherwise.

BT
Old 02-13-2004, 05:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, what would a fair price be professionally assembled with a new bearing? This is a large upper drive shaft model. Standard prop shaft. SN OM100 and above.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shop around a lot and buy second hand new/used parts as much as possible. My goal for buying (and selling) is generally 50% of new part cost. Sometimes I will pay up to 60% if it is basically new. Much more than that and I'll pay the extra to just buy new and avoid the hastle/risk.

Does that answer your question?

Dave