Notices

Shotgun Mufflers Illegal ??

Old 02-21-2004, 10:48 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Shotgun Mufflers Illegal ??

I just removed my silent choice system because
In NY diverters are illegal, so Im going with stainless marine w/ stainless long risers and shotguns. Are these illegal too ?, I cannot see why, I cannot turn them off they are on all the time

http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Exhaust/024.htm

http://www.drewmarine.com/

Last edited by wwwTOPDJcom; 02-21-2004 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what if they're illegal. Just stay quiet when you see the law or when your close to shore. Don't open them up until you're out from shore. Most people don't care about the noise unless you're too loud in the marina or docking at a watering hole.

The only reason they are "illegal" is so NY State can grab more money from you via a noise ticket. Don't let them win. Have some fun, just be aware of where you are when you're loud
Old 02-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top, I had shotguns on my Formula. I had dry pipes and the shotguns only dropped it 2 db. No where near enough to get legal. The whole cutout thing is a pain. Here in OH, at least in my part of Lake Erie, as long as you pass with the cutputs open, they wont ticket you. at least thats what all the cops I have talked to said. I would talk to the enforcement peopl where you will be boating and get their read on this too. The way most of these laws are written, its very open to interpretation. (a muffler is not defined-water acts as a muffler)
Old 02-22-2004, 11:26 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be running them wet , I have seen them on many boats and them seem to quiet them down a lot
the back of powerboat mag has a add from Drew marine
stating that they are legal in all states
Old 02-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Mr. Demeanor

They take the bark out of the exhuast but thats about it. I run them with the Bassett perforated insert type baffles. They work much better together and I saw no decrease in speed but I have a stock 330hp big block in an otherwise slow boat. Sounds healthy but not obnoxious.

Old 02-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Registered

work well around the dock and at idle. They take the bark out. Not sure how quiet, as never have tested the boat with a sound meter. NYS regulations say no cut-outs.....these don't have a cut-out. Also they are adjustable as to how quickly they open with the (3)position lever arm on the side.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I have them and they work pretty well. You can adjust them to keep them from opening as much with the spring rod.
I would say they are legal since they are always "on"
Even without any mufflers, I'm sure you are below the db requirement. You could adjust them to the lightest setting and meet the muffler requirement of the law.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:39 AM
Registered

It is also possible to adjust how much they open in addition to how fast they open...Important to know...I only need them to open about 1/4 of the way to not see ANY loss of speed per gps.......An alan wrench is all it takes to make the adjustment on rate and amount of opening...

BH
Old 02-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Can someone explain just how they work? Are they still muffled somewhat when open? Is is that they open from increase in exhaust pressure then close as you come off the throttles?

What about actuator arm clearance on the inside pipes of a twin setup?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Registered

Hi Rick, they are pretty much a spring loaded door, the more exhaust pressure, the more they open. I even put stronger springs in mine. The ones I had, shotgun 1's, had lefts and rights. I used the 2 lefts on the port engine and the 2 rights on the stbd. since my center 2 pipes were right next to each other.

I would worry about them being legal to a fussy cop. They are, in effect, automatic cutouts.

Tom

Quick Reply: Shotgun Mufflers Illegal ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.