Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Drive grea lube >

Drive grea lube

Notices

Drive grea lube

Old 02-29-2004, 01:48 PM
LPA2106

Default Drive grea lube

Did some research and merc's hiperf lun has animony in it. It is technically an advanced additive that reduces friction and resists heat breakdown....my mechanic says it is hard to convince him to go synthetic when this lune has been tried and true...he has torn down drives with and without synthetic oil and no notable differences...now with engine oil..he says that mobil 1 15w50 is superior to conventionals and the synthetics allow for fast burnoff of any water from condensation because the water disperses and fries off faster than with the conventionals where it sits on the top....and also use a mobil1 oil fliter ...any thoughts?

Old 02-29-2004, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Lots of thoughts on this issue. Do a search from the Forums/Boards tab.

Synthetic gear lubes can offer much improved protection in applications where point loads exceed the abilities of the conventional lubes.

They are not, however, considered to be tolerant of water intrusion into the lube.

Merc Hi Perf gear lube is much improved over the "regular" Merc and other conventional gear lubes, but it has been specificaly formulated to be able to perform well with a measure of water mixed up in it.

Be conscious of your specific application and how you plan to use it, along with what your expected changeout intervals and inspection intervals will be - then you can choose what will perform best for you. That's really the only way to do it.

(as an example, I had a heavily modified 2.4 Merc running an Alpha class V6 lower unit at 2:1 in a dragboat application - After several premature gear failures I changed from Merc Hi Perf to Amsoil and went three times as long as the Merc lube with no failures).
Old 02-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

McC- was the boat any faster with the Amsoil? there was an earlier thread where a guy was saying switching from Merc to Amsoil gave 1-2 mph.......I could always use 1-2....doug
Old 02-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

twinn

Who knows? This was a 100 mph 1500 pound (with me, a helmet, fuel, and lifeline) padvee hull dragboat.

I don't actually KNOW if it was any faster or not for sure, because I did MORE port work while it was down for the last lower unit job and the boat did turn another 150 rpm on top with the 32 small ear chopper (the dragprop was a cut down 28 chopper). The last time the lower unit went down on me was on a flatwater run with the 32. At 7400, trimming a little at a time (and giving it a second or so to settle) it started tightening up and lost a few revs a few seconds before it "let loose" ( no more teeth on the pinion). After the additional port work and the Amsoil, I gave it a few easy hours to run in the gears on Merc lube, then switched to Amsoil and turned her loose. As I said saw 7550 with the 32 and let her eat for probably a couple of miles (which was about as far as you could fight it before you had to back down to rest your arms and get your breath). Ran a handfull of drags after that and more lake speed runs. Changed lube often and it looked good. So to answer your question: did the lube give more speed? Maybe. I didn't expect 150 revs out of the port work (it was already ported heavily and I just evened up the top of the exhaust eyebrows and polished the radius into the exhaust chest - which was already gutted). So how much was porting and how much was lube ??? Dunno.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LPA2106,

I talked to the Bravo Shop guys at the Miami Boat Show and they said that shifting to AMSOIL 80W90 gear lube will drop the drive temp 7 degrees. I already have drive showers, but they say any reduction in temp will prolong the life of the drive.

There is also a shock value to AMSOIL and Royal Purple. These gear oils cannot be shed from the outdrive internal components when the boats leaves and re-enters the waters.

I have not used Royal Purple, but they are many members with extreme power applications that swear by it. I have never had a failure using Merc drive oil. I shifted for the heat transfer properties and the shock proof charateristics of the oil. Also, AMSOIL is cheaper that Merc High Perf Gear Lube.

Bill
Old 02-29-2004, 08:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally posted by Tarheel
Also, AMSOIL is cheaper that Merc High Perf Gear Lube.

Bill
Bill,
Who sells it in our area?

Craig