Notices

Trs Limits?

Old 03-04-2004, 09:52 AM
pipnit

Default Trs Limits?

Hey Guys, I have a question for some of the gurus out there. I have a '74 18' donzi with a TRS drive. The drive is in good condition as is the transmission. I have a chevy sb that is going to turn 5500-6000 RPM. Someone suggested that 6000 RPM is too much for the TRS. Is this true? I thought that these things were so beefy that 350-380 hp at 6000 rpm would be childs play. Please advise!

T.I.A.

Geoff

Old 03-04-2004, 03:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 190 Likes on 41 Posts

from what i know its not the rpm as much as torque and horsepower good up to 600lbs/hp
Old 03-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18' Donzi with a TRS???

OK, I would think thats an awful lot of weight in the back of an 18' boat!!!

Plus doesnt it take more power to turn a TRS???

I think the TRS will hold up fine, but you would get better performance out of a Bravo, heck, out of an Alpha even, well maybe not an Alpha to 6000rpm.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TRS on a Donzi 18"?!?!? Yikes! I had one on the back of my 22 Classic and it looked like it was ready to sink. Have you had that thing in the water yet? When you're ready to get rid of the TRS let me know, I can always use spares.

I ran my 22 for years with a pumped up 454 mag and a TRS. Couldn't brake it when I tried.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:37 PM
pipnit

I bought the boat last July and ran it hard for 50+ hours. Here is a picture. The boat does sit low but not much different than most 18's. I thought about putting a different drive on it for about five seconds. Part of what makes it neat is the TRS. The boat did 70 before the rebuild and thats about all I feel comfortable doing in an 18 footer. I'll be curious to see how she runs after the rebuild cosidering how much scoring was on the cyl. walls.
Attached Thumbnails Trs Limits?-trs.jpg  

Old 03-05-2004, 05:20 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool Donzi!

That's a rare bird with the TRS!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pipnit that thing looks SWEET with the TRS! The drive is almost as big as the transom. I didn't think the 18 had enough room to fit a motor & a trany.

70 pretty fast for that boat I wouldn't push it to much past that. The hull speed is around 65-75 on that boat. I do know of a guy running up to a 100 in his but it does a NASTY chine walk and starts bow steering.

Put a helmet on and enjoy!
Old 03-07-2004, 08:46 AM
pipnit

Thanks for the compliment Biggus and Lofty. This is the way the boat came stock. The boat is acutally orange in color not red which is supposed to be somewhat rare too. I'm not looking to break any speed records, just want to have a resonably fast boat that is reliable. In the water, she looks and sits really pretty. I just went yesterday to get the engine back from the builder!

Old 03-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think you will have a problem w/ drive in a small boat like that. MercTrans should be fine w/ new set of cluchtes. Sometimes after awhile the material on the cluch plates delaminate (paper plates) and get thin.Might want to do this now and save on work later.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pipnit,

Don't sweat the RPM's on the TRS.

One of the fastest "B" boats to ever hit the water was Joe Sgro's "Fever". He ran TRS drives with Ritchie Zul small blocks at 7800 RPM and the boat was an absolute terror.

I remember him blowing by me at the APBA Worlds in Key West in 1990 on the back stretch. Scared the daylights out of me. Went blowing by me at about 80 MPH in 4 to 5's, 3 feet off my stb. side. The sound of those stroker Zuls at 7000 RPM was unreal. He never broke a drive or a motor. The boat was bulletproof and won everything it entered for years.

The TRS is a good drive, no worries mate.

Whirly
Attached Images