Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Osmosis - hull blisters? >

Osmosis - hull blisters?

Notices

Osmosis - hull blisters?

Old 03-09-2004, 03:22 PM
killahair

Default Osmosis - hull blisters?

Checked out a 1986 stinger on the weekend - needed alot of work as dated and just neglected and such - but one thing spooked me into not buying her was the fact in had blisters (osmosis) on hull paint.Guy said it was repainted in late 80's early 90's and left in water - How do you fix problem - is it expensive or can do myself - I heard you might have to sandor strip off old hull paint - let dry out for How long?? I dunno and then re-gel coat and sand.God that sounds like alot and I still have all the other problems in there I gotta get to - Tell me what you think.

B

Old 03-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you have already answered your own question...
Old 03-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You grind out each blister, fill and then recoat.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:25 PM
bellyfeel

If the hull is painted on the bottom, you'll have to strip or sand it off. Open up all the blisters and let them dry out. Fill the deep ones with cloth and epoxy. Shallow ones can be filled with epoxy and micro-balloons. Fair everything, coat with epoxy barrier coat, fair again. Paint...lots of work.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Registered

And then, put it in the water too long and it might blister again. Run away.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Registered

Much of this depends are how large the blisters are. If they are small, pea sized or less, you can let it dry for 6 months or so (all blisters will be gone), then barrier coat the bottom with a high quality epoxy barrier coat system. Anything larger than that and the water has infiltrated the glass and they must be individually ground out. I have done the small blister repair with good success in the past. Very difficult and unpleasant job which I would never do again. It can be done, but I agree, RUN FORREST RUN!

F31 - On a side note, you will have the oil pump pickup tomorrow. Let me know if it works for you.

BT

Last edited by blue thunder; 03-09-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Registered

if you can pick the boat up for CHEAP and you have some time on your hands it might be something to play with, remember a boat that old and in that shape do not give much money for it
Old 03-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

don't waste your money. you would be buying someone elses problem. it's not worth it . good chance that the hull is holding water below the water line. run, run like the wind!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

No sir.

Bottom paint is not a moisture barrier. It is an anti-fouling agent.

The only moisture barrier is an epoxy barrier coat over a properly prepped bottom.

If it is a new boat, you can spray 3 coats of barrier coat over it before the bottom paint and you're theoretically good forever. But cure times and recoat times must be properly followed (especially the time between the last barrier coat and the first anti fouling coat).

Problem is, scrapes and such will still open the can of worms and water can wick all the way down a hullside. Not likely but a possibility.

You'll prolly be okay with just bottom paint but don't go into it thinking it is an absolute barrier.