Trailer Questions (2 part) >

Trailer Questions (2 part)

Notices

Trailer Questions (2 part)

Old 03-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Trailer Questions (2 part)

I just bought a new (used) boat with an older no name trailer. The frame is very sturdy and should be fine but I want to replace the axles and spings. It is currently a tandem axle holding a 6000 lbs Cig. I have considered going to triple axles. I will be redoing the spring hangars anyway so adding a third axle is no big deal. What are the pros and cons of triple vs tandem? I know there is the added cost of axle, springs, wheels and tires. What are the benefits?

Part 2:
Will be redoing the bunks and adding additonal bunks. The trailer has one keel roller but the boat has squished it pretty good. The additional bunks will support the boat and take the weight off the roller. What is the purpose of the roller? Is it to just align the boat on the trailer? Do I need it at all?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A tandem will definetly turn easier than a tripple.

Keep the roller. That there to save the keel if the trailer is in too shallow. There should be one at every cross member behind the axel.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:08 PM
ren3

Default trailer axles

If you are going to replace springs and axles go to torsion axles whether you decide on two or three. Two axles are more than enough for a 6,000 pound boat. Do a search on Google for torsion axles (Henschens are the best). This basically gives you independent suspension type handling at each wheel. I have used these for 23 years. They are really no more expensive than conventional axles. Put brakes on both axles with your load, discs preferably.

Old 03-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My last trailer had torsionals. It was a nice riding and quiet trailer. Only problem is that they do not distribute the load evenly between frt and rear tires when going over curbs or such or with any change of levelness. Nature of the beast. Mine would lift one of the wheels off the ground when just goin over curbs or cresting at the top of the ramp. That means all the weight normally carried by 2 tires, is now on one.
Ordered the new trailer with conventional spring and shackles. This way all 4 tires will always be eqaully loaded all the time. Just food for thought. A little noisier though when empty.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Okay, so it looks like tandems are fine. If I don't go torsion bar and use conventional springs are a center pivot required? The current set up uses leaves with eye loops on the fronts and the rear of the leaf just rides against the frame. Both axles are set up the same way. All of the new trailers I have looked at have leaves with eye loops on both ends and a center pivot between the axles. I assume this gives an even wieght distribution between axles. Is it recommended or would the old style work fine? It seems to work okay now the way it is.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct, The center pivoting link is what allows for both wheels to carry the weight equally when going over bumps. 2 totally independent spring setups as you currently have does not. It's lasted this long, so....

I haul 7900# on my tandem axle. But I did order it with the HD axles, disc brakes, 8 lug wheels and tires. At least do that for a peice of mind if you upgrade. Mine has the front spring eye solid, both springs on a center pivot, rear spring end as the slipper spring. 1 end has to be solid mounted to keep the springs in location.

I can really see the wheels just walk over bumps now compared to my torsion trailer where the whole trailer would lift up with just 1 wheel.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-12-2004 at 11:55 PM.