Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo III vs. Alpha I >

Bravo III vs. Alpha I

Notices

Bravo III vs. Alpha I

Old 03-24-2004, 04:10 PM
deacboater

Default Bravo III vs. Alpha I

I'm in the process of purchasing a new boat (22 foot sea ray), and am trying to decide between the two drives, for a 350 mag 300 hp mercruiser engine. I've been told that the bravo III is better out of the hole, but I give up top-end speed (about 4-8 mph). Also, I've been told if I switch to a 5 blade stainless prop on the alpha drive, I get pretty much the same out-of hole performanace as the bravo III, but don't give up top end speed. Seems like the Alpha I with the 5 blade is the best of all worlds, but what am I missing, if anything here? Also was told bravo III is more complex, and more $$$ to repair if run aground... we plan on a lot of skiing, wakeboarding, etc, so want good out-of hole performance - I think with either drive, the 350 mag in a boat that size is going to give us plenty anyway (thoughts on that welcome as well), just not sure on which drive - I'd prefer not to give up too much top end. - any thoughts/suggestions on this?

Only other thing I've heard is that 300 hp is really top limit to push through an alpha drive, esp. if doing a lot of skiing/boarding.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not a Bravo 1 with a 4 or 5 blade?
Old 03-24-2004, 05:13 PM
deacboater

Bravo I has not been mentioned as an option by the dealer... "options sheet" shows only alpha I or bravo IIII...

Curious on thoughts on the bravo I, but in the event that I can't get that way, still VERY interested in comparision between BIII and AI...

Old 03-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Merc 350 mag package comes with Alpha 1, Bravo 1,2 or 3. I'm sure the dealer can offer you a B1 if you talk to him.
I wouldn't chose the Alpha if you're planning for a lot of skiing since agressive hole shots is one of the best ways to kill a stern drive.
The Alpha will probably last for many years, but I wouldn't take the chance.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercr...ive_engine.asp
Old 03-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Ric232

Sea Ray's buyers aren't typically the "Bravo I" crowd, which is why they don't list it as an option. I agree that a Bravo I with a 4-blade is probably your best all-around bet.

However, if you're limited to A1/BIII, it's a tough call. The BIII will give you better holeshot than an A1 (or B1) with any prop. You will give up some top speed with an A1/B1 and a 4/5 blade prop, but probably not as much as a BIII. The A1 "clunks" when you shift it, which is annoying, but it has proven to be a reliable drive. The BIII is the hottest running drive in the Mercury lineup, and their reliability has not been the best as a result. They can be a real pain in the a$$ sometimes. The BIII props are mega-bucks if you bend one, but it will be a plus at resale time.

If you are going to be a hard core skier, I'd say go with the BIII and add a drive shower to keep things cool, assuming you cannot get a B1.

Old 03-24-2004, 06:59 PM
deacboater

Any truth to the thought that 300 hp is top limit or too much HP for an Alpha Drive?

Old 03-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Fuelish Pleasures

In some boats the Bravo III will not sacrifice any top end, especially under 60 mph. It depends on the hull. Sometimes the Bravo III will get more lift and more hull out of the water and compensate for the extra mass of the outdrive in the water. If you are going to use your boat primarily for skiing and want the extra control around docks and while loading on your trailer in windy conditions or with a swift current, then get the Bravo III. If you plan on doing some modification and adding more HP later, go with the Bravo I. If you want to save some money and want a drive that has proven to be dependable at 300 hp and under go with the Alpha.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Shameless

Why only a small block in that boat. It will be a slug! I used to be a service manager for a sea ray dealer, so I speak from experience. If you have to stick with a small block, i would suggest the 6.2 with B3, but is you must have the 350, still, the b3 is the only way to go for your situation.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:27 PM
deacboater

interesting point, shameless... what engine would you suggest? the 6.2 is the largest engine Sea Ray lists as "available" for that boat, although I'm sure I could talk to the dealer about a custom order....

http://www.searay.com/index.asp?disp...qtype=1,8,9,19

Old 03-24-2004, 10:58 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i;d say ther eis no question here go for the bravo. Its a tougher drive, period. As such it will be more reliable in the long run.

AND if you wanted to us e bravo one, you coudl sell an alomsyt brand new bravo 3, get enough $$$ for a bravo one and just bult it right up no questions asked.

My baot came with a BBC and an alpha even with the 330 i was convinced i was gonan puke teh drive everytime i took the boat. out. I converted a bravo (the engien has to be removed to go from alpha to bravo, where as b3 to b1 is as simple as taking off 6 bolts) and now i can enjoy my baot without constantly worrying abotu reliability issues.

Quick Reply: Bravo III vs. Alpha I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.