Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Velvet Drive 72C: Huber or BAM >

Velvet Drive 72C: Huber or BAM

Notices

Old 03-25-2004, 10:58 AM
jlongtain

Does anybody know the dimensional changes made to the pump in a Velvet drive transmission to make it to Huber or BAM specs? Also, what type of clutchs are these guys using and where can they be purchased?

Old 03-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc at BAM uses proprietory parts and there are several procedures that are done inside (not just pump and cluthes). Best bet is to call Marc, hes good to deal with and will build them for you (get warranty too).
Old 03-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom Huber builds the trans for Mercury and is a great guy to deal with. He's located outside of Nashville. Good luck. Doug
Old 03-25-2004, 04:19 PM
jlongtain

Wink Dimensions

Thanks for the help fellas. But, I already spoke to both Tom and Marc. I own a full service machine shop and want to see if I can make some more improvements on top of what these two gentlemen have done. In particular I want to design an improved casting for the body of the trans. I have all of the dimensional data from Borg Warner. Anyone who can give me specific mod dimensions from a Huber or BAM trans would be greatly appreciated. I already know they both mod the pump, valve body, clutch hub for extra clutches, deep sump and dry sump systems, input and output shafts. I just need specifics. Prints would be killer. But, I will be more than happy with actual measurements taken from one.

Thanks,

Jay

Old 03-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Registered

How much HP are you going to run thru the trans.? Max on a stock 72c is 475 hp and stock 71c is 310 hp (gasoline).
Old 03-25-2004, 06:58 PM
CMW
Registered

not tot be rude, but just buy one and figure it out.

You have a full machine shop so you should respect the effoft of these people.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:24 PM
jlongtain

It would not be an interesting project if I just bought my way out of it. I know alot of people involved in this hobby with more money than brains. I am not one of them. As far as respecting their efforts is concerned, competition is part of a capitalists economy. So, layoff.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:46 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tom Huber is a trained engineer who has worked in designing and manufacturing automotive and marine transmissions all his life. I would think he would consider copies of his drawings and prints to be industrial espionage and may possibly be patent infringement. You might want to see if he holds any patents before proceeding.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by f311fr1
Tom Huber is a trained engineer who has worked in designing and manufacturing automotive and marine transmissions all his life. I would think he would consider copies of his drawings and prints to be industrial espionage and may possibly be patent infringement. You might want to see if he holds any patents before proceeding.
I agree with you 100% about Tom Huber, and he is a nice guy to boot.
I wouldn't worry about this Carribean Pirate too much...he doesn't sound like he could find his ass with his hands.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:21 PM
jlongtain

You guys can kiss my ass. First of all I have no interest in manufacturing transmissions. All that I want to do is experiment with my own on my own ****. If you are going to cry to Tom Huber. Knock yourselves out. As far as knowing what I am doing. At least I am not some dumb ass you expects everybody else to figure it out for me. Keep throwing out the cash fellas. As far as my original question is concerned. Forget it, I will seek another source of expertise. You guys certainly lack it.

Thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: Velvet Drive 72C: Huber or BAM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.