Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Eagle trailer brake question >

Eagle trailer brake question

Notices

Eagle trailer brake question

Old 03-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Fuhgedaboudit

Smile Eagle trailer brake question

I have a 13200 lb gvw tri axle Eagle trailer. Its galvanized steel triple disc brake with 235/85r16 load range E tires. It was built for my 357sr1 Formula. The trailer has air over hydraulic brakes, and my GMC 1 ton dually crew cab does not have air brakes so I want to change it to an electro hydraulic brake system.

anyone got any ideas on this set up? My truck has an electric brake system in it already so all I really need is to mount an electrically actuated master cylinder...has anybody got the name(s) of company(s) that have what I need? Thanks for help

Old 03-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eagle uses Tekonsha system. I know this well as I purchased a 382 Poker Run Special last summer on an Eagle trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes. I've found that very few people are familiar with this braking system.

You must use the Tekonsha "Voyager" controller with this system ... others are not compatible. If your truck is newer, it should already be wired for the system. If it is older you will need to run a (+) feed from the battery to the coupler.

Do a search here on OSO for Tekonsha ... Havasu Cig asked a few months ago about a problem with his brakes. I would also suggest calling Eagle directly for technical advice and parts (other than the controller). The phone # is on the trailer graphics (area code changed to 734). It might cost slightly more, but will save you from hassles and headaches, and they can send you schematics.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Fuhgedaboudit

I had heard that Predator also makes an electrohydraulic actuator, I am familiar with Tekonsha and the Voyager XP unit. Is this news to you?

Old 03-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not familiar with the Predator brand. I knew very little about electric over hydraulic brakes until picking up the 382 in California last July.

The trailer brakes worked well on my brother-in-laws 2002 Chevy duallie from California to Colorado, but did not work at all when we switched to my 1994 Chevy for the remainder of the trip home. Hours of frustration spent trying to figure out the problem(s), but I finally called Eagle on my cell phone. They were VERY helpful and solved the problems in a couple minutes.

There is usually a reason why big, respected manufacturers like Eagle use specific brands and accessory equipment ... I would use whatever they recommend.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Fuhgedaboudit

I have actually called Eagle....spoke with a guy named Jim, very helpful..said they also used a manufacturer by the name of Titan, product named BrakeRite. I was just hoping I could get some more options. We'll get it squared away within the next month...Keep the faith