Procharger Help needed >

Procharger Help needed

Notices

Procharger Help needed

Old 03-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Procharger Help needed

I am helping a friend that installed a Procharger 5lb. kit? with stock injectors. It is a 95 28ft Nordic with a 454MAG EFI. It ran ok before the install. We removed the thermostat per the instuctions and installed the new fuel pump and regulator. When we took it out for a test drive, it was burning very rich and wouldn't get on plan. My thought is that the ECU is in the cold start mode causing this. What about using a 120 thermostat to help it warm up? What is the temp. that the ECU kicks out of the cold start mode?
We were using a 28 Bravo so it may be possible we are over proped. I am looking for any help as we may need to have the ECU reprogrammed. Some issues that probably need addressed;
1. Cold start adjustment
2. MAP High limit switch
3. raise rev limit to 5400?

What do you think we should try first?
Thanks,
Old 03-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First: What temp is the motor at? Was the ECU reprogrammed by Arizona Speed? If not, do so immediately.
What fuel pressure are you running? Normal Merc pressure? It should be higher than stock even at idle, mine is about 45-48# @ idle. Was the new regulator installed? Does the fuel pressure go up as boost is built? It should, but only by about 5# maximum.
An after market ignition can help with a longer duration spark to the plugs and allow a wider gap also.

You can use either a DRILLED 120* thermostat or a restrictor plate to get a little more heat. A little soot is normal particularly if long idle times/wake zone are encountered.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Registered

Nope on the reprogram. We called Procharger and they told us that a reprogram wasn't needed. Yea I know, their tech support !@#$. I was changing the fuel pressure up and down while moving and still didn't have enough power to get it on plan. We installed a Aeromotive A1000 and regulator and the fuel pressure went up 4-5psi. I think a t-stat and ECU reprogram is going to be needed.
I did a search and found that the cold mode kicks out at 105 degree, but the water is cold here right now and it won't warm up with out a t-stat.

Thanks for the info blown formula
Old 03-30-2004, 04:54 AM
Banned

Give Mark a call at precision Marine 504-469-7463. Computer expert and also does prochargers.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also highly reccomend Mark at Precision Marine!
Old 03-30-2004, 01:45 PM
NEXTASEX

You need a fuel pressure gauge to set correct pressure at idle.Also i think the regulators come preset from procharger if you bought the kit new.Should have been close enough to get running correctly,also my motor has thermostat removed and yes motor is in cold start mode that is why Procharger says you don't need to get computer redone they just let it run rich.If you want to run a t-stat you will have to have computer redone call Mark as mentioned above he can get ya going.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Registered

Have friend with 2 of these kits & has a problem free last 4 years. At least for the motors, prop & drives are a different story. He does not have remaped ecm & it works perfect.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Registered

Good info guy's, thanks. I may call Mark for some more help after we do some more testing.
We did set the fuel pressure to 35,40,45 and it was running very rich at all settings.
It looks like our weather might suck this weekend. We have an electric fuel pressure gauge installed, but I will hook up my mechanical gauge for the next test. What should we start with for fuel pressure? 45-48 like Blown formula has stated.

I also have a question about the timing. We set the total timing to 30 on the muffs, because I thought that would be a good place to start. Any input on this?

I think the big issue at this point is the temperature compensation in the ecu, because you guy's probably never have this cold of water (40) to screw things up.

Thanks for all of the input! I'll keep you post on the progress.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have a remapped ECU, that is one reason I run 45-48# pressure. Merc won't tell you what it should be and Procharger doesn't really know or will not say. Yes, use a mechanical gauge to set pressure. Use a scan tool to check all parameters of the ECU, TPS, etc. Most mechanics do not know how to set those. Search for the "set TPS" thread last year for guide lines. I do not have a soot problem. Please run a EGT gauge for your own good. It is easy to burn a piston if a cylinder starts to lean out due to a plugged injector. Been there, done that. Not fun. Run a filter AFTER the fuel pump to be sure to trap contaniments in the fuel, Filter before the pump is NOT adequate.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:27 PM
blownboat

My computer was reprogramed to shut off cold mode at 105,mercruiser manual says stock cold start shuts off at 140. I had the same problem. Reprogrammed it works great.

Quick Reply: Procharger Help needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.