Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel line headaches.  What can I do? >

Fuel line headaches. What can I do?

Notices

Fuel line headaches. What can I do?

Old 04-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel line headaches. What can I do?

I am going from log style manifolds to center rise, and from q-junk to Holley carb. The fuel lines are all the hard metal lines that are in no way going to work on the new setup. I currently have hard lines going from the mechanical pump to the fuel/water seperater to the carb. I have to find a new place to mount the fuel/water then run a line from there. Is anyone running the braided lines? Can I get those in any length I need? Is that the best solution to my problem?
Old 04-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can custom make the flex hose any length but the ends are normally AN fittings not pipe thread like you have now but you can get adapters. Prob be easier to just bend a new steel line to fit,NAPA can help.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, is the fuel water separator (oil filter looking thing) between the pump and carb? I dont think those were made for pressurized fuel. You can run soft fuel "marine" hose from the tank to the separator, then to the pump. Buy the fuel line at a marine dealer to make sure you have USCG approved line.
Hard line is reqired from the pump to the carb. The marine fittings are standard inverted flare. You can buy hard lines of various lengths with the flared ends already on at auto parts stores. The get a small tubing bender and make your own. It shouldn't take more than 1/2 hr.
Gary
Old 04-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Registered

Hi ! I just ordered a 20' roll of double anealead stainless 3/8 tubing from sumitt. $30.99. It's supposed to bend like copper and bend without kinking. Regular fittings should work. The best way to make them up is to double flare them. If you don't have the tools they are also inexpensive and will pay for themselves after making up a second line. I'll try to let everyone know how it worked out. I would try to avoid anthing "on the Block" that is anything other than steel or stainless fuel lines or approved braided uscg approved. Your boat and your safety is not worth anything less.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered

Yes braded lines are great, make them yourself as it is a lot of fun.

Roby