Notices

Engine rebuild or replace ?

Old 04-11-2004, 01:56 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Engine rebuild or replace ?

I need some advice on whether to rebuild or replace my engines. The old engines were running when removed so I don't anticipate any rebuild problems (hopefully). What I have is block# 10051107. From what I have found out this is a 454 MkIV Bowtie with 9.8 inch deck height and siamesed bores. Anyone have any different info? It seems to have a standard GM dual plane high rise intake #3933163. The carb is a 830cfm Holley double pumper w/ mech secondaries #9381. It has t-bolt distributer with Crane Hi-6m box. The rockers are gold colored Crane roller tip. It appears to have stock exhaust manifolds with stainless elbow/risers added. I would like to get as much reliable HP as possible. I would like to keep a budget of 5k per engine, maybe I'd go a little higher if it made a big difference. I'm hoping for 500hp minium. If I didn't rebuild these engines I would be considering crate engines from Runs New as they seem to be close to my budget and I haven't read of anyone having problems with them.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some engine builders prefer "seasoned" blocks.... Where the molecules in the block have settled into place... then they blue-print the engine during the rebuild... I'd suggest that if the engines were running when removed... you just rebuild them and maybe do some simple upgrades like a different cam and exhaust.That is the least expensive thing you can do... I had crate engines arrive from Chevrolet and disassembled them and found some minor casting flaws.So going with new isn't always the best thing to do... if you have been running the engines in salt water... better look closely at the core areas to make sure they haven't gotten too thin.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:15 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

The engines haven't been in salt water and appear to have stock GM rectangle port heads. Most of the people I have talked to locally have said to rebuild these rather than go with lower priced crate motors.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crate motors are lower priced?.... have you ever seen how some of these are assembled? I once got a crate motor that had the wrong size main bearings installed... I'd just have your existing engines rebuilt by a reputable engine builder... not just some assembly line rebuilder. Then you know exactly what parts went into it and there is a lot more attention to detail that way.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go the new engine route......I would be interested in your tired Bowties
Old 04-11-2004, 02:56 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I meant lower priced crate motors as opposed to higher priced crate motors. I am probably going to rebuild mine, it's just hard to resist the low prices on some of the crate motors out there.

Last edited by bck; 04-11-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would keep the Bowtie stuff and make 496's out of them.

Zero deck the new pistons - good cam - good exhaust and be happy. Carb is OK.

More Money options:
Different manifold is a plus and new heads would really be a big help.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:17 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

What sort of reliable/worry free hp are these engines capable of. I believe that because they are bowtie blocks they should be able to tolerate a larger bore than a regular 454, correct?
Old 04-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gold rockers make me think they may have been originally Merc 420's, which have a lot of good parts. They were the hot stock engine before the Hp500's.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:34 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I've tried to put together the history on the engines and initially I thought they were the original Innovation Marine/Kaama engines that came with the boat. I think more likely all the reusable parts were put onto these blocks after a failure of the original motors.

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild or replace ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.