Re: Hatch leaking >

Re: Hatch leaking

Notices

Re: Hatch leaking

Old 04-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hatch leaking

I am not sure what they are called, but the "hatch" above the cuddy, seems to be leaking. I have re-caulked around the perimiter where it is mounted. Can you get new seals for those? If so where? The boat is a 1990 Baja 300ES.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Registered

It's called a bow hatch.

Usually the seals are just marine caulk, like 5200.

Sometimes the wood core (if any) under the hatch edge gets wet and wicks water in. I had one that I had to remove the hatch, repair the underlying structure, then do a new caulk seal all the way around. That did the trick.

Either way the hatch will have to come out to do it right.
Otherwise more caulk added outside is just a band aid.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Registered

Is there any trick to getting the unit out? I did try caulking around the perimiter and re-caulking all the screws, but it has not helped. There is no chance the seal could be bad before I take this thing out? The seal looks fine though.

Scott
Old 04-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Registered

Hard to check the seal without getting anything else wet.

My problem was deeper than the outer rubber seal.
BUT...
I don't want to send you tearing out your hatch if it isn't necessary, but it's more likely the actual hatch frame seal underneath, as opposed to the outer rubber/poly compression seal for the actual hatch.

Can you tell inside whether the water is leaking back away from the hatch once it gets inside? In other words, does the leak cause a stain around the perimeter in your headliner? Usually the hatch installation problems make the leak seem to come from under the headliner, instead of from around the rubber window seal.

Maybe you can get more clues by having somebody hit it with the hose while you are inside.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Registered

The hose idea is a good one, I will try that next. The floor is almost always wet, it is running down the side of the wall I believe, because under the bench seat it is wet also.
No fun getting your socks wet!
Scott
Old 04-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Registered

If it's any consolation, it was some work, but the end product is nice and the hatch has never leaked again.

I had a little wet wood and used some "Git-Rot" to harden the affected areas that were exposed when I removed the hatch.

What about opening the hatch and trying to wet the frame edge without letting the hatch seal be "in play"?
That might be the trick. Just a little water, but with the hatch open and just to the edge of the frame.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:38 PM
Registered

It was the seal, the seals seems to have shrunk? I tucked it into the corners before locking the handles down. Should I replace? Do I simply call Bomar? Or reglue the seal back into place?

Scott
Old 04-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Danny_Ocean

I would try replacing the hatch seals first before tearing everything apart. Even though a seal appears "good", it only takes one small compressed spot to let water past.

D. Ocean
Pompano Beach, FLA

Old 04-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Registered

Glad yours wasn't as bad as mine!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fund razor -

My hatch also leaks and I know (from testing it with a hose) that it isn't the rubber seal. So, the hatch is coming out. I was just wonderin ghow hard it was to get it out and if there is any trick to it. Also, I assume I'm going to find it wet in there. What was that stuff you used for the repair?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Re: Hatch leaking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.