Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
K&N Arrestors Make Power or Not? >

K&N Arrestors Make Power or Not?

Notices

K&N Arrestors Make Power or Not?

Old 04-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Arrestors Make Power or Not?

Do the K&N arrestors make power or not?....anyone with dyno results....Thanks for any info, Fred
Old 04-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Rivercrazy

I personally do not believe that the K&N helps a marine motor make more power. But the airfiltering is better....

Old 04-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Registered

And their numbers and recomendations on their site are wrong. If you dig deep enough and do the number crunching, you will see that a size similar to the size of your flame arrestor is very restrictive and you will have to go much bigger to get the same flow. Then theres the lack of visible Coast Guard approval to give you more problems.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fred when Tom Earhart dynoed Kaama's engines they DID make more power with them but his are real big. I'm sure they wont fit under my hatch....
Old 04-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

I think they made 3 hp....if memory serves...
Old 04-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

A buddy of mine had a little trouble today. He was stopped by the USCG in Baltimore's inner harbor. They boarded his 23' Rinker Captiva. They got him for the engine compartment blower, one life jacket and the K&N flame arrestor. He tried to explain that the flame arrestor was "marine approved" but because it did not say "Coast Guard approved" they said he had to remove it. They towed him to shore where he either had to make the repairs or pull the boat. He made the repairs which included installing the old flame arrestor (he just put the K&N on today).

I went to the K&N website, it states that it is "marine approved per SAE J1928" but it does not say that it is "Coast Guard approved". I am calling them tomorrow to try to get an answer to this question.
I currently have a K&N and I don't want to be put in the same position if I am stopped.
He said he would just keep his old flame arrestor in the boat but if these are not "Coast Guard approved" will our insurance company have a reason to deny our claim if we ever had a problem?

I went to the USCG website and found this:

"The following frames address the 15 areas that are the main inspection items of the VSC. Five of these items: Personal Flotation Device (PFD or life jacket), Fire extinguishers, Flame arresters, Visual Distress Signals (VDS), and Marine Sanitation Devices (MSDs) must be either Coast Guard approved or have a Underwriters Laboratory (UL) or Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) number. All references to these items in the following frames are assumed to meet this criteria."

I talked to the Coast Guard this morning. They told me that the USCG regulations had changed as of January 2004 to include "SAE approved" flame arrestors. They do not have to carry the "Coast Guard approved" label.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:45 AM
Registered

Thanks for thr replies guy's, who else makes a good arrestor?....Fred
Old 04-20-2004, 05:52 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

fred I have the Merc ones that were on the 420's Holley used to make one like it in Chrome....$100 did you buy new risers?
Old 04-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Registered

Don, no I didn't change risers, Crazy said use the ones I have....are you saying you have a pair of chrome arrestors that were used on the 420's for $100 for the pair?...do they have two 1/2" breather tubes on them?....Fred
Old 04-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Registered

TTT

Quick Reply: K&N Arrestors Make Power or Not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.